Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P plate exhaust mods

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
screw it, i'll take your advice may it get unwanted attention or not and get a system. Now all I have to do is decide which one. Either standard twin SS system or lukey 2.5" with resi.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
well i got pulled over twice last saturday night for random breath testing only my car surrounded by like 10 cops both times they never meantioned about my exhuast or the loud noise my pod makes, maybe they dont care up here? im on my greens btw

DUK13Y

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
I was just thinking, what is the worst case scenario if/when I'm pulled over with a custom exhaust? So far I see the ways it can go down as:

1: the cops say nothing and let me on my way
2: I get a defect
3: ?

Can they suspend my licence for driving an 'illegal' vehicle and impound it?

bread

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
you stress too much mate just get a 2.5 staight thru you'll be set. theres plenty of p platers floating round too low with rims too big, there more obivous than a deepish note, straight thru 2.5 shouldn't be too bad anyway.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
I was just thinking, what is the worst case scenario if/when I'm pulled over with a custom exhaust? So far I see the ways it can go down as:

1: the cops say nothing and let me on my way
2: I get a defect
3: ?

Can they suspend my licence for driving an 'illegal' vehicle and impound it?

Wouldn't worry to much mate, i guess they could give you a fine/defect? but i couldn't see you getting in **** if you used the typical "oh really? sorry i didnt know.. i brought the car like this, i guess ill go take it to get changed then" excuse you should be fine.... thats IF they ask you which i doubt..

Just get it and enjoy iy... if you dont floor it everywhere you should be fine :)....

DUK13Y

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Thanks guys. I stress so much because my parents would kill me if i get a system and then get immediate cop attention.

I was looking for a system with a resi or hotdog at least because I don't want it too loud and I've heard quite a few vids in the V6 development section and I think it's more refined at lower revs which will be my style of driving. I consider 4500rpm to be flogging it out :whistling

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
i had my rear muffler cut off, its not a massive note change but its deeper n looks neater, not sure if its p plate legal
im on my reds n haven been pulled over yet :)

but soon 4 sure ;)

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Yeah I was thinking of the same thing when I got my 2.5" straight through cat back system. I too was going for sound only as performance is a waste. No problems as yet and so many P platers have exhausts I hardly think it is illegal in QLD anyway. Plus the size difference in the stock exhaust and the modified one is like a 1/4 inch, not much really. I go to my green Ps in like 10 days anyway. I believed what they mean by performance modification is something that requires mod plates or an engineer's certificate, like super/turbocharging. Coz the big thing is getting cars over the 200KW mark, and putting on an exhaust on a car like mine VS exec prolly wouldnt even make it too 100KW.

DUK13Y

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
I did quite a bit of research on the NSW RTA site and they classify an engine modification (to be legal) as anything that does not increase the capacity by 15%, require an engineers cert and does not change original parts including exhaust.

RTA NSW said:
Examples of minor (owner certified) modifications are:

Engine changes where the capacity increase is less than 15% above the maximum size engine available for the
vehicle (providing no major structural modifications are necessary and where noise and/or exhaust emission
ADRs apply, all standard equipment such as carburettors, exhaust systems, exhaust gas recirculating valves,
oxygen sensors and catalytic convertors relating to noise and emission control are retained and operate
correctly).

So it is illegal but oh well.

hagz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais v8
i wouldn worry bout it i on p plates got extractors and 2 and half inch exhuast bein pulled over couple of times cops never said nothin insurance wise dont think it makes a difference might depend on insurance company