Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P plate exhaust mods

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
I know that it is illegal to get a catback system fitted while your on your P's, but what about changing the mufflers over and leaving the pipe the same size? Would that:

1: Be legal?
2: Give a deeper note?
3: Be a cop magnet?

I know it wouldn't be very loud but what would a standard exhaust with an original lukey glass pack (middle) through to a hotdog or smaller resi sound like?

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
If it's over 90dB (which most aftermarket systems are) then it's illegal regardless of P's.

It's arguable that any exhaust modification is designed to be performance enhancing (which is what P's are banned from doing) and if you meet the wrong cop that's the line they'll take.

If you don't go overboard and drive sensibly though, you'll probably get away with it.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
If you want it just for the performance and not the sound, then go with a 2.5" exhaust with 2 mufflers... or a hotdog on the back?

I had a aftermarket exhaust with 2 mufflers on for a little and it sounded like stock, so i put on my 1 exhaust with 1 muffler, alot louder now ;)

DUK13Y

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
I can't change the size of the pipe due to the law so that's why I was asking if just changing the mufflers over would be an option worth looking at. I'm purely going for sound not performance.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
im in qld i have full exhuast from extractors to a 2.5 cat back ive been pulled over many times by cops for breath testing and they havnt said anything

maybe its not illegal in qld

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
it will be illegal

DUK13Y

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
k. Thanks for the help. That's what I needed to know. I'll just leave it stock and buy myself a V8 soon as I'm off my P's to get that nice growl. Was looking at a Trans Am but I guess I'll work that out in a few years :p

MIIK3Y

MIIK3Y
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
i had my rear muffler cut off, its not a massive note change but its deeper n looks neater, not sure if its p plate legal
im on my reds n haven been pulled over yet :)

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
im in Syd, i have a vp v8 exhaust system with chrome tips and have never been pulled over, Haydz was also telling me his Purple VR had pacemaker headers and a zaust and has been pulled over but none have ever mentioned it.

DUK13Y

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
There seems to be a fair argument going on about P platers with exhaust mods and on another thread it was mentioned that if in an accident, insurance will not cover it because of the exhaust modifications regardless of who is at fault. That sounds a bit strange as I don't see how they can blame a crash on an exhaust modification but I understand that the driver was in a modified and therefore illegal vehicle.

I was looking to get a SS twin system as it isn't to loud and won't attract much attention but the whole insurance threat has put me off. Should I just get the system and test my luck or just leave it stock and spend the money elsewhere?