Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P plate help and mods

Nick Fassoulis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo
Hey guys! I'm new to this whole website and these posts if I'm doing something wrong just tell me! I've got a original VL turbo Calais. The car is a rolling shell at the moment as I have taken the turbo engine out to do a full respray. I just bought a RB30E engine which is currently sitting in my garage. I love learning and working, I want to do a fair bit of the general stuff to the 6 cylinder engine before it goes back in.
I bought the 6 cylinder as I want to drive it on my p plates and properly build up my other turbo engine.
If anyone could help me with some general mods that are p plate legal or mods that aren't 'legal' but I could get away with please help!
Also what are some general servicing things I can do to the engine while its out.
Thanks in advance

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Save your money until you're off your P's. In the meantime sort out the suspension and steering and replace any worn components.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
No responsible member of this forum will help you carry out P plater illegal modifications. As already suggested, focus on getting the things right that really matter. Suspension, brakes and steering. Not exciting but really important, especially for a novice driver.

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder Ute, MKII LV XR5 TURBO
Being a P plater myself i want mods as well. but i also think the mods that are most important are ones that can have the potential to save a life in a bad situation. like braking, and suspension, handling is another one, also one that people might not consider a mod but something that can definitely help is good tires. i only have a few mods on my ride. and i'm keeping it this way with only a few more i will change, and leave the rest for when i am off my Ps. i would suggest you do the same.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi Nick,

You have one of the most sought after cars that Holden made on a mass scale. The VL Calais turbo is best kept in it's original guise and not modified in any way. These are going up in value on a daily basis and the more original it is the higher the value it will fetch whenever it is sold.

I totally endorse what Losh has suggested.