Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P plate help and mods

Discussion in 'VL Holden Commodore (1986 - 1988)' started by Nick Fassoulis, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Nick Fassoulis

Nick Fassoulis New Member

Members Ride:
    VL Calais Turbo
    Hey guys! I'm new to this whole website and these posts if I'm doing something wrong just tell me! I've got a original VL turbo Calais. The car is a rolling shell at the moment as I have taken the turbo engine out to do a full respray. I just bought a RB30E engine which is currently sitting in my garage. I love learning and working, I want to do a fair bit of the general stuff to the 6 cylinder engine before it goes back in.
    I bought the 6 cylinder as I want to drive it on my p plates and properly build up my other turbo engine.
    If anyone could help me with some general mods that are p plate legal or mods that aren't 'legal' but I could get away with please help!
    Also what are some general servicing things I can do to the engine while its out.
    Thanks in advance

2. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Save your money until you're off your P's. In the meantime sort out the suspension and steering and replace any worn components.

vs-lover likes this.
  3. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    No responsible member of this forum will help you carry out P plater illegal modifications. As already suggested, focus on getting the things right that really matter. Suspension, brakes and steering. Not exciting but really important, especially for a novice driver.

4. Zachariah

Zachariah Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Thunder Ute
    Being a P plater myself i want mods as well. but i also think the mods that are most important are ones that can have the potential to save a life in a bad situation. like braking, and suspension, handling is another one, also one that people might not consider a mod but something that can definitely help is good tires. i only have a few mods on my ride. and i'm keeping it this way with only a few more i will change, and leave the rest for when i am off my Ps. i would suggest you do the same.

5. vs-lover

vs-lover Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
    Hi Nick,

You have one of the most sought after cars that Holden made on a mass scale. The VL Calais turbo is best kept in it's original guise and not modified in any way. These are going up in value on a daily basis and the more original it is the higher the value it will fetch whenever it is sold.

I totally endorse what Losh has suggested.

losh1971 likes this.