Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P plate legal mods for vt in VIC

Hopz

$B-RAD$
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
1998 VT S1 Exec
what performance mods would i be able to do on a vt that is legal in victoria?
and whats the deal with wheel sizes on an exec?
what do you recommend King spring SL or FE2 suspension?
what wheels would you recommed?

Kieran263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Wagon 6.0 A6
There are no legal performance mods allowed for P platers in victoria. That being said
check out MACE ENGINEERING, they will have you covered for bolt on mods.
FE2 springs can be found dirt cheap but you would probably want to get some new shocks to suit.
As for rims, its completely a personal choice, but if you go 20's with the FE2 springs
you'll probably scrub a bit.

Hopz

$B-RAD$
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
1998 VT S1 Exec
would i have to get any engineering done to go over 17's because the car had 15's from the factory and was told you can't go more then 2" bigger, or is that to do with width

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
FFS...sick of this ****.

VicRoads website says 'No performance enhancing modifications on the engine'

That means, everything, even an aftermarket exhaust is able to be termed 'illegal' for a P Plater.

If you or anyone in the future want to know about this. Call VicRoads, they know the law, they will tell you.

avanti_rider

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim v6 series 2
would i have to get any engineering done to go over 17's because the car had 15's from the factory and was told you can't go more then 2" bigger, or is that to do with width

I'm pretty sure thats just a law from the police mate. Not a problem with sizing...

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
the law is, for that make of car, you can go 2 inches larger than the factory released on that entire model..... so, all vt.
i am pretty sure 17" was the largest rim from factory avaliable, so therefore 19" would be the largest size you can have on a vt legally. (unless i am wrong and there where factory 18" rims for vt)

my advice would be to keep away from any obvious mods like exhaust, extreme lowering (keep it legal) or the likes, as that kind of thing attracts the coppers. go for less obvious modifications, and who will know if you dont tell them :)

Last edited:

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
the law is, for that make of car, you can go 2 inches larger than the factory released on that entire model..... so, all vt.
i am pretty sure 17" was the largest rim from factory avaliable, so therefore 19" would be the largest size you can have on a vt legally. (unless i am wrong and there where factory 18" rims for vt)

my advice would be to keep away from any obvious mods like exhaust, extreme lowering (keep it legal) or the likes, as that kind of thing attracts the coppers. go for less obvious modifications, and who will know if you dont tell them :)

Pretty sure that Rim law is gone now, otherwise every person with 20"s or 22"s would be pulled over.

As for the laws, Yep P platers can't have anything to do with the engine, I.E The exhaust, insulators + spacers, extractors.

That being said, I have Pacemaker Extractors with 2 and half inch catback, which is fairly loud but I've never been done for it and I've been pulled over twice.

But, I probably get away with it because i have factory tint and the car is standard height.. Which is obviously going to be changed but not sure.

I've ran around with the exhaust with stockies on the back and 18" SS-SV6 rims on the front with no troubles, even though i had a legitimate excuse, it still gets you pulled over.

What you could get away with and which is bang for your buck would be High ratio Roller rockers, Diff gears + the manifold insulators + spacer.

Just don't make yourself look like every other p plater and you'll be fine, anything you want to do to your car i'll garentee you won't be aloud to have, but you'll do it anyway.

Remember the consequences, usually you only get ####ed up the ass if you're being a tool anyway, which in that case you deserve it.

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
im like, really old, so that law could well be history now. agree with your other modification advice too. dont look like a YAHOO!!!!!, and you should get away with some things.

Pretty sure that Rim law is gone now, otherwise every person with 20"s or 22"s would be pulled over.

As for the laws, Yep P platers can't have anything to do with the engine, I.E The exhaust, insulators + spacers, extractors.

That being said, I have Pacemaker Extractors with 2 and half inch catback, which is fairly loud but I've never been done for it and I've been pulled over twice.

But, I probably get away with it because i have factory tint and the car is standard height.. Which is obviously going to be changed but not sure.

I've ran around with the exhaust with stockies on the back and 18" SS-SV6 rims on the front with no troubles, even though i had a legitimate excuse, it still gets you pulled over.

What you could get away with and which is bang for your buck would be High ratio Roller rockers, Diff gears + the manifold insulators + spacer.

Just don't make yourself look like every other p plater and you'll be fine, anything you want to do to your car i'll garentee you won't be aloud to have, but you'll do it anyway.

Remember the consequences, usually you only get ####ed up the ass if you're being a tool anyway, which in that case you deserve it.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
"what performance mods would i be able to do on a vt that is legal in victoria?" Seeing you mention "legal", I agree with Hama Time. None and for more emphasis, nada, zip, nought, zero, you are not legally entitled to modify your motor including exhaust mods. I am surprised this thread has not been closed for promoting something that is obviously illegal for P Platers. The faster you go, the harder you stop. You only have to watch the news to see what P Platers are doing to themselves in and with cars. Nuff said.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
"what performance mods would i be able to do on a vt that is legal in victoria?" Seeing you mention "legal", I agree with Hama Time. None and for more emphasis, nada, zip, nought, zero, you are not legally entitled to modify your motor including exhaust mods. I am surprised this thread has not been closed for promoting something that is obviously illegal for P Platers. The faster you go, the harder you stop. You only have to watch the news to see what P Platers are doing to themselves in and with cars. Nuff said.

Mate we all know the news is over publicised BS. Depends how you look at it I guess, anyone could say that all those exhaust changes don't give you any power gains to a n/a 6 (which they don't) they just improve the sound and drive-ability, same with those mace spacers, air intakes, etc ,etc

It doesn't actually do squat in the way of "power increase" - I mean sure we can get excited over tiny tiny differences from standard but at the end of the day the only way to increase power of a v6 engine is forced induction or cams/engine work.

Exhaust, Air Intake, is only delivering better the power the engine already had, might also be worth mentioning that none of these are "Engine Mods" you haven't altered the engine in anyway by changing the exhaust.