Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P-Plate legal (performance) Mods to 86 VL

snowybill

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
hey guys, ive not long owned my pretty stockage VL.

the only performance wise upgrades im aware of are 2.5" straight thru with extractors, and a custom aftermarket chip. (it also has wider than average tyres, the guy that owned it used to do hillclimbing in it)

I'm just wondering what kind of mods you would suggest, but keep in mind, for me (for the next...nearly 3 years) turbo and supercharging is not legal :(

I'm looking at maybe 3 grand for mods, please any suggestions will be greatly accepted.
Also i'm a bit new to car mods, so if you get too technical, please explain haha :)

cheers,
snowy.

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
where r u from because i believe over east its illegal to have ANY performance mods

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
Should also check with the authority for example pod filters are differant in each state some allow them aslong as they have a cover/heat shield and some dont, so just verify with them before you do any major mods becuase at the end of the day they will be the ones giving you a ticket, defecting and not passing your car for roadworthys so just maybe give them a call or drop in?
cheers

snowybill

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
hey guys, well ive had my car passed already for rego with the current mods it has.
I also forgot to mention the 4.11 LSD in it, rather than the standard 3.45 i think it is? can anyone tel me how this might be an advantage/disadvantage ?
And as i am on my Red P's, i can't drive any V8's, supercharger, or turbo cars. I live just outside of canberra, and my licence is in NSW.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Sure it might pass roadworthy, but then if a copper pulls you over, they might **** you up the ass for driving a car that has power mods done to it. Do a thread search dude, this topic has been covered a million times.

Your shorter diff gears will give you more poke, not a power mod though i believe but i'm not sure what they consider it to be, as i have never been affected by the new laws so i never bothered to research them.

I also ask, if you know you can't drive a car with power mods, then why ask what power mods you can do to your car? Do them , just don't sook when a copper defects and fines you for breaking the law.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Oh, and if you are planning to break the law by doing mods that you aren't allowed to do, just drop an RB powered engine in it with a manual conversion, exhaust etc. Will give you some sweet power on tap when you need it.

snowybill

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
cheers dude, i have had a look, the exhaust is legal, although i think if i DID get pulled over, i probly would get done because the pod isnt secured or covered, so yeah im looking into fixing that, but i would like to know if anyone has any ideas on power mods ?
cheers, snowy.
edit - the car is a manual.

FAT.36L

8,000RPM FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo S13 Onevia
I have a conversion for sale!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
cheers dude, i have had a look, the exhaust is legal, although i think if i DID get pulled over, i probly would get done because the pod isnt secured or covered, so yeah im looking into fixing that, but i would like to know if anyone has any ideas on power mods ?
cheers, snowy.
edit - the car is a manual.

Wait, so are you affected by the new laws for P platers in NSW? I dunno about NSW laws. Do you guys have them up there? Exhaust is considered a power mod, therefore legally you couldn't have it. As far as i'm aware anyway.