Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P plater section

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
TBH the search function is fairly average. I've used it to try and locate threads I actually know and still takes a fair bit of time unless you know the exact wording.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yeah keywords find the answer but it's knowing the context / jargon to ask is the Internet conundrum.

The answer is 42. But like Jeopardy the prize comes from assumed knowledge about how to ask the right question.

So perhaps should be a WTFAQ section with some pointers? Even if it just builds on Wraith's sig!

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
TBH the search function is fairly average. I've used it to try and locate threads I actually know and still takes a fair bit of time unless you know the exact wording.

Yeah I agree. Normally I just find it easier to type your question into google, as long as you mention in the question that it is relating to a commodore, the "just commodores" threads should be at the top of the search results.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
what makes you think theyre going to search for the P Plater sub forum/thread?

Exactly. I can tell you I move a large number of threads by newbies who land on the site and hit up the first section they see then create a random thread nothing to do with the section they are in. Members don't see most of these as they are often moderated.

I usually pm the user and link to where I have moved it and ask they navigate the forum before posting again to ensure they get the right section the exception when they sign up and chuck up an advert, then I delete it.

Not everyone likes being told, I get rude replies telling me they are new, like that gives them some sort of exemption.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well then maybe the P plater section (and maybe the pub) should be the only section new members can post in until they get 5 posts and they get off their "Just Commodores" P plates :D

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
Well then maybe the P plater section (and maybe the pub) should be the only section new members can post in until they get 5 posts and they get off their "Just Commodores" P plates :D

Make their avatar a P plate until the get to a minimum number of posts

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
As much as I hate when someone posts an Alloytec exhaust thread for the millionth time, segregating the forums even more and making them feel even more of an outsider/newbie is not the way to go. As I said in another post, a few other forums are having a real tough time. Theyre becommin graveyards and JC has its fair share of issues when it comes to people posting, people finding posts as well as a lack of proper technical posts that are easy to find. We dont want to scare possible newcommers away just because we have a few people saying "FFS SEARCH".

I think there needs to be clearer ways to see Stickied Posts, whether this be done by a color scheme perhaps, red for technical, blue for wheels etc etc - including more stickies in each section. Id also like to see some of the more valuable tech posters to become almost ambassadors to the section to be able to look at tech threads to sticky etc. IE - Pirate for the VE Section, he could flag a few threads or perhaps compile threads that could be stickied or made into a compendium of advice.

I also think we need to by default increase the date of threads to be shown. For example, the current default is any thread that hasnt had a post in 30 days is hidden. For some sections thats great. For things like the Tuning/LSX sections etc or the Car Audio/DIY Guide section its a major hindrance as it looks empty.

Follow that up with something in place when a user signs up that they are shown these sections in screenshots.

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TBH, I think some of the other forums had their technical sub sections arranged better. If there was a sub section for exhaust/driveline/interior ect so that common technical issues are in the same areas it may also reduce random posts?

edit: another option maybe to set up a JC FAQ and link this in the sign up procedure or notices.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Then if they do search and post in the thread they find they are crucified for digging up an old thread and then if they start a new thread on the same stupid topic they are flamed for that as well.
What are they supposed to do?
A bit of leniency on posting in old threads might go a long way to stopping so many new threads like this popping up

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Then if they do search and post in the thread they find they are crucified for digging up an old thread and then if they start a new thread on the same stupid topic they are flamed for that as well.
What are they supposed to do?
A bit of leniency on posting in old threads might go a long way to stopping so many new threads like this popping up

It really depends what is dug and what is posted.

For example, I see a lot of people dig posts making a comment that offers absolutely nothing new the the thread that was buried 3 years ago.

If that thread for example a) had lots of pages and b) the user asked a question/added something of worth, then by all means post and if anyone wants to have a dig, report the post and Ill infract them because as far as Im concerned, theyve done the right thing and the other person can GTFO.