Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P Platers and High Performance cars.....

P Platers

• Allowed High Perfomance Cars

Votes: 266 47.7%
  • Not Allowed High Performance Cars

Votes: 223 40.0%
  • Allowed them, but not allowed to drive/licence them

Votes: 50 9.0%
  • Im not a P plater, nor do I Care

Votes: 51 9.1%

• Total voters

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
Abstract Taken from http://todaytonight.com.au
for the full storey go to website above

Police predictions were dire when we exposed the antics of illegal drag racers several weeks ago.

"Sooner or later, someone is going to die," police warned at the time.

Now there have been two deaths. Police say a Nissan Skyline and a silver Honda may have been drag racing last night when the Skyline lost control, hitting a power pole and killing two of its five teenage occupants.

Innocent people have also died. Michael and Tamar Herman are mourning the loss of their eldest daughter Inbar, killed seven months ago on her 19th birthday by a drunk speeding driver.

The driver was found to be unlicensed with 19 prior driving convictions and had a blood alcohol level of more than twice the legal limit. The Subaru WRX hit Inbar at 120km/h and the driver was jailed for seven years.

Inbar’s friend Brett Smallcombe was with her the night she died.

“You don’t get over it," Mr Smallcombe said. "You deal with it and move on, but you never get over it."

In many states, P-platers are allowed to own powerful cars. The law says they can’t drive them, but they can own them.

“The problem is they’re not allowed to drive those cars, but no one enforces the law," Mr Smallcombe said.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
while i belive that p plater's should have full use of the roads without curfues, i do beleive how ever that they should be restricted in what they can drive, i.e a p plater should be limited to a 6 cycle car, not worked in any way, just factory, most v6 commies now day's hammer, so there is no reason for a p plater to be running around in their hotted up cars.

anyone who say's that p plater's should be alowed to drive what ever they like i sugest they sit back and take a look at why they are saying that, and look at the statisic's. no offence guy's, but i have lost someone close to me who was a p plater and he was driving a v8 that was worked of it's nuts. so im all for restrictions

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I rthink they can have em but not be able ot drive em.....but still cops would have to enforce

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
maybe we should add spell checkers for garth and yourself.....

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
I'm not sure whether P-platers should have high performance cars or not. To be honest, most P Platers should have find that a V6 Commy does the trick just fine. However, about a couple of years down the track as a P plater they really should get experience with driving a high performance car, as chances are, they may have to some time later on, and they will NEED that experience.

C

commodore_vy

This topic requres some definition of a high performance car,
High Performance
A car that has a lot of power that was not designed to have alot of power
e.g. holden astra puting out 200kw
but not an SS puting out 240kw, this car was designed for it.

But now i think of it maybe its not such a bad idea to have govenors, so the engine can rev any hader than a stock six............

I tow a boat on my P plates it weighs 1 tonne, my dad incists i drive the ss when towing it because i can get outta problems easily with the extra grunt of the V8. so i dont know its kinda a catch 22, you are damed if you do and you are damed if you dont.....

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Not allowed High Performance Cars:

Any Youngen that wants/ thinks they can buy a worked 6 - supercharged - turbocharged 6 or 8.. Or even a quick 4 is simply stupid, especially RWD cars are absolute tools. I'm only been confident with the power I've had from a Straight 6 now.

I do see that theres reason for power in some cases, I.e. if your overtaking someone and you realise you need a bit more of a push to make it. But on the same note maybe you shouldn't have gone to begin with.

As for the wrx driver, 19 previous offences, how was he even allowed to drive, obviously has a brain the size of a pea. Twice the legal limit in a wrx going 120, I'm sure alcohol was more of a reason then anything.

And High performance cars- Anything that arks up on command. Anything thats not stock until you get to 8's and turbo/ supercharged versions. I think an SS is far too much for a P plater.

Snowfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore SL
I chose no, P platers should not be allowed hi po cars. Looking back to my P plate days I shudder at what I would have done with a wound up car, I'm glad I started with a 4 cylinder or I might not be here either. When I drive past a P plater in an XR8 or HSV its always the same thought "Gee, I wonder how long that car/driver will last". You can die in any car obviously, a young guy hit a tree here a few years back in a fairly stock VN, but if you have the power and acceleration its all the more tempting to use it. Starting at the shallow end of the pool is better I think.

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
This is coming from a p plater.
Personally, owning a mildly worked vs v6, l believe that l don't require any more power. Yes l wouldn't mind if l did, but when would that "extra" power be utilized? I would have to say only in an illegal manner (beating those xr6 turbs from lights?) as the power l have at the moment allows me to overtake and the likes no problems. I have mates with vl's with 5.7 littre's and v8 vr's but due to certain expierences, they drive to or under the speed limit. This is because we've had mates been injured and killed in car accidents which wouldn't have happend if they weren't racing/speeding. I believe that p platers should have limiters installed on they're cars, reducing the chance of races/speeding. Once the driver reachs his black licence, he/she is able to drive a car that hasn't had a limitor installed.

I agree with snowfox, with that "extra" power, it IS more tempting just to plant the foot when, lets just say, a honda or any four cycl accelerates up onto you.

In all honesty though, l think its just part of the male nature to race/speed and due to this, l don't think the problem will ever be solved, there will always be a way around a "solution".