Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P-side door actuator

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
I just noticed an issue with my VX.

As usual, driver's door only unlocked by remote, I reached over from inside and unlocked the P-side front to get some shopping out of once parked. I noticed that the rear doors didn't unlock with it. Then forgot about it.

I locked car and forgot shopping. 10min later remembered and went to car forgetting I'd locked it, noticed P-side door still unlocked so figured didn't lock it anyway and tripped the alarm when I opened the door.

Further testing from inside car to replicate. D-door only unlocked, unlock either rear door manually will unlock the other doors with it. But unlock P-door manually only unlocks that door. But when car locked again by remote the P-side stays unlocked, and therefore triggers alarm if opened.

If I fully lock by remote or fully unlock it the P-side front door operates perfectly, and when done manually has no resistance at all as if sticking at all. It just seems like manually locking or unlocking isn't talking to the rest of the system. The actuator itself seems to function ok when not in this particular sequence. It just doesn't tell the rest of the car what position it is in.

Other than replacing the entire door latch and actuator, is there another possibly reason that may be causing this? thanks

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
If you can fully lock and unlock, it seems like your actuator itself is working fine. The problem is elsewhere.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Yes, operates perfectly by key fob. Manual operation of the lock is where it falls through.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Anyone else had a similar issue that they sorted out? Thanks

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
First I be looking at the signal wire between the door and kickboard, maybe a broken wire from opening and closing.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If the wires between the door are good then only other thing I can think of is the master lock on the drivers door, it has the microswitches that tell the bcm which position each door lock is in.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
After chatting to an Auto Electrician he believes that it is still most likely the actuator in the door. Either way, it's an easy thing to swap and check and rule out. Seems it's cheaper to buy entire door latch with actuator genuine than to replace just the motor itself, and possibly easier if have to remove the lot as an assembly anyway. There's also the small no-brand actuators of unknown quality that are $100 less than the lot. Will report back anyway. cheers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have a VT here at the moment...To lock or unlock the doors, I have to double tap on the particular point on the fob, for the passenger side to lock/unlock. Maybe you should try that first and see what happens

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Tons in the wrecking yards. Just look for low km one if possible. The actuator is easy to remove and by loosening a few things off should be able to be done without remove whole locking mechanism. Although it's only 5 more mins anyway to pull the lot. Screws on the actuator can be tricky if lock mechanism not taken out but not too hard.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
One thing to note make sure you don't lose the little white end off the locking mechanism. If that falls off it can cause the actuator to unlock but not relock. What it does is push the rods up but it won't pull them back down.
It slides over the hook on the locking mechanism that goes through the eye of the actuator.