Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P0420 & P0430 Error Codes

Gunsmoke125

Reaction score
Website
drivinginjapan.blogspot.com
Members Ride
2007 Holden Commodore VE SS-V
Hi all, this is my first post on this site.
I'm calling on the expert advise of Holden owners to help me with an issue.
I just got a second hand 2007 Holden Commodore VE SS-V, and after a few KM's it started giving me a Check Engine warning.

A couple of things you should know.
1. I live in Japan, and this is 1 of only 2 Holden VE's in the country.
2. I cant take it to a Holden Dealer as there isn't one
3. The car has only done 7000KMs (yes believe it. Some people don't buy cars to drive)
4. It's a manual and it had been some time since I drove a manual so perhaps this has something to do with the error. (That is, I was getting used to driving the stick again and stalled a couple of times)

Anyway, I used a CAN OBDII Scanner and got the two error codes P0420 & P0430.
Im not a mechanic, but if I have some clear instructions I should be able to follow them. I realise that these errors relate to the Catalyst Efficiency and Oxygen levels, so perhaps an O2 sensor might be bung. Anyway, I have cleared the errors, but if they come back, what would you do to check the cause? (and how.. in lamemans terms)

Thanks

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
You may need to get the car tuned. The fuel they use over there is different (I have heard better) than ours and I think the air might be too. Unfortunately it would be hard for you to go down to the local performance shop and get a dyno tune. Plus if you got a mail order tune from Aus it still might not be any good as it will be tuned to our environment. Other than that, not sure.

Gunsmoke125

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
You may need to get the car tuned. The fuel they use over there is different (I have heard better) than ours and I think the air might be too. Unfortunately it would be hard for you to go down to the local performance shop and get a dyno tune. Plus if you got a mail order tune from Aus it still might not be any good as it will be tuned to our environment. Other than that, not sure.

Cheers, The air in Tokyo is probably a lot dirtier then AUS, (Granted I have only experienced the air in Sydney and Melbourn). You are right about the Dyno tune, there isn't really a market here for it, so the places that do it would be few and far between, plus even if I find a place that can do it, they would have 0 experience with Holdens.
The fuel here is 96 RON (for premium unleaded) which is what I have put in. This should be on par with AUS.

Thanks for your reply.

bbb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Sv6 Wagon
sorry can't give you any advice but just wondering WOW how the hell do you have a holden in Tokyo, as like you said there is basically none!!:)
I thought Tokyo was all about turbo's and 4cylinders not V8's!! YOU must be a GOD over there ! :)

zmr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS-V
Seems your pretty much onto it already...and there is loads about those two codes on the web...looks like its a common error where the down stream O2 sensor behind the catalytic converter is detecting that the catalytic converter is not working as good as it should.

Both codes (P0420 & P0430) indicate both banks 1 and 2 have logged the error. I think (I might be wrong) that these samples of the catalytic converter functioning are only taken once certain conditions have been satisfied - heat, throttle..or hot or cold start.. etc.

Id would hazard a guess that because both codes have appeared its unlikely you have an exhaust leak or a sensor problem..(two exhaust leaks and 2 sensor failures!!!)...though would be wise to check for any exhaust leaks just in case and you can compare the voltage on both sensors to see if they are the same, perhaps.

If there was a Holden dealer nearby - they would reset the codes and say 'Come back if it happens again :) ' so your on the right course already.

How much is gas in Yen per liter??

Gunsmoke125

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
sorry can't give you any advice but just wondering WOW how the hell do you have a holden in Tokyo, as like you said there is basically none!!:)
I thought Tokyo was all about turbo's and 4cylinders not V8's!! YOU must be a GOD over there ! :)

lol, the car definately gets a lot of interest. I parked it outside Tokyo station to show some collegues who had never seen a Holden before, and people started gathering around (mostly yanks and brits, but a few Japanese people too). It did give me an ego. :p

Seems your pretty much onto it already...and there is loads about those two codes on the web...looks like its a common error where the down stream O2 sensor behind the catalytic converter is detecting that the catalytic converter is not working as good as it should.

Both codes (P0420 & P0430) indicate both banks 1 and 2 have logged the error. I think (I might be wrong) that these samples of the catalytic converter functioning are only taken once certain conditions have been satisfied - heat, throttle..or hot or cold start.. etc.

Id would hazard a guess that because both codes have appeared its unlikely you have an exhaust leak or a sensor problem..(two exhaust leaks and 2 sensor failures!!!)...though would be wise to check for any exhaust leaks just in case and you can compare the voltage on both sensors to see if they are the same, perhaps.

If there was a Holden dealer nearby - they would reset the codes and say 'Come back if it happens again :) ' so your on the right course already.

How much is gas in Yen per liter??

Yea, I think you have said pretty much what I was thinking zmr. The fault codes have been cleared. I need to take it for a spin to make sure that the errors don't re-appear.
Not too sure exactly how much the gas is per litre. I fulled her up for about 11,000 yen when I got it (completely empty tank on day 1). I think it is about 144yen per litre (High Octane) and 133 per litre for regular.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS

Gunsmoke125

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
i dont know why the link comes up gibberious but it still works
ƒI[ƒgƒvƒŒƒXƒe[ƒW/HOLDEN/HSV
they are called AutoPrestige

Thanks jasonsv6, yes these are the guys I got the car through. They are quite far away from Tokyo (about 4 - 5 hours drive). They are going to take the car back for a week to resolve the issue, but I am hoping to avoid that and resolve it myself (seeing as I just got it, I don't want to give it back so soon, even if only for a week).

I've reset the codes, so it's just a case now of seeing if the problem comes back again. I am hoping to learn as much as I can so I can DIY most things.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
just out of intrest how do these compair in price to similar cars of this type in japan?