Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P0430 keeps coming up

Craft1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF commodore SS ute
Hi all can someone help p0430 bank 2 keeps coming back after a week and has also logged it as a permanent code I have done cats/ oxygen sensor/ plugs and coil packs it has me stumped does anyone have any ideas
Thanks

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
Do you have stock headers ?

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
There was actually a software update released by Holden to change the threshold of the catalytic efficiency so this is something that can be explored.

That aside for now, you mentioned you changed oxygen sensor. Was this pre cat or post cat or both?

Have you checked live data on a scan tool, particularly around fuel trim? If so what were the fuel trim values?

Is there any damage to the exhaust manifold or the rest of the exhaust?

Any exhaust leaks?

Did you use genuine catalytic converter or an aftermarket one?

Craft1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF commodore SS ute
There was actually a software update released by Holden to change the threshold of the catalytic efficiency so this is something that can be explored.

That aside for now, you mentioned you changed oxygen sensor. Was this pre cat or post cat or both?

Have you checked live data on a scan tool, particularly around fuel trim? If so what were the fuel trim values?

Any exhaust leaks?

I had both cats changed with aftermarket one at a exhaust shop I only changed the post cat sensor with ome I don’t think there is any damage to the exhaust I might look at the software update as I don’t think it has been done but it saying this it only started when the car had about 150k on the odometer it has 250 on it now

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Would be a good idea to do pre cat sensors then mate if they haven’t been done, they are a service item that needs to be replaced every 5 years or so

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
Like vr304 said but I would do all 4 o2 sensors They should be changed approx every 100,000kms

Also how do you know that the after market catalytic converter has not failed or is cheap quality?

In the first instance, I would add one of those mini catalytic converter adaptor on bank 2 and do multiple drive cycles to see if permanent DTC is then cleared.

Craft1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF commodore SS ute

Any exhaust leaks?

I had both cats changed with aftermarket one at a exhaust shop I only changed the post cat sensor with ome I don’t think there is any damage to the exhaust I might look at the software update as I don’t think it has been done but it saying this it only started when the car had about 150k on the odometer it has 250 on it now
Would be a good idea to do pre cat sensors then mate if they haven’t been done, they are a service item that needs to be replaced every 5 years or so
yeah okay but it is always bank 2 would a faulty pre cat sensor set off bank 2 ?
Like vr304 said but I would do all 4 o2 sensors They should be changed approx every 100,000kms

Also how do you know that the after market catalytic converter has not failed or is cheap quality?

In the first instance, I would add one of those mini catalytic converter adaptor on bank 2 and do multiple drive cycles to see if permanent DTC is then cleared.
okay thanks guys will look into it just hoping to get 12 months out of car before I can replace car

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
yeah okay but it is always bank 2 would a faulty pre cat sensor set off bank 2 ?

Bank 2 means the whole passenger side and not front or back.
For eg There's B2S1 (bank 2, sensor 1) and B2S2 (bank 2, sensor 2)

Anything to do with fuel delivery, air intake and exhaust can impact the catalytic converter efficiency so this needs to be kept in working order first and foremost.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
Bank 2 means the whole passenger side and not front or back.
For eg There's B2S1 (bank 2, sensor 1) and B2S2 (bank 2, sensor 2)

Anything to do with fuel delivery, air intake and exhaust can impact the catalytic converter efficiency so this needs to be kept in working order first and foremost.
Bank 2 is the passenger side in US