Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P2188 DTC running rich idle bank 1

fvescio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ commodore
Hi everyone, been looking at other threads on this topic and can’t seem to find anything with the same issue.

I have a VZ with the LE0 alloytec and after cleaning my MAF (with MAF cleaning fluid), I now get a Check PowerTrain light with DTC P2188.

What’s worse is that it appears to be intermittent as after resting the DTC, the Check PowerTrain light disappears for 3-4days., but come back whilst driving.

After reviewing the freezes frame data of the fault, my scanner tells me that there was a Fuel System Monitor Bank 1 error with the Additive Fuel (Offset) Correction failing. The results showing:

Test value : -5.86
Min limit: -5.49
Max limit: 5.48

so my question is has anyone else experienced this error, and is this because my MAF readings have changed since cleaning it? Or is it something else like leaking injectors or o2 sensors?

thanks in advance

troy sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6, 04 berlina, 07 crewman
im in the same process of trying to find a site or an app to diagnose my codes too. this site may help. although in your case, codes with a 1 are brand specific so this might not help

fvescio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ commodore
im in the same process of trying to find a site or an app to diagnose my codes too. this site may help. although in your case, codes with a 1 are brand specific so this might not help

[/URL]

[/URL]
Thanks for the reply Troy sv6.

Yes it has been difficult to find anything beyond high level “potential” causes of this code. example article
https://www.obd-codes.com/p2188

I guess I will start with the cheapest fix first like cleaning the MAF, then try some second hand o2 sensors and if that doesn’t work, then fork out and buy new genuine injectors…

Was hoping not to throw money at it……

I will reply to this thread once I fix it, in the hope it will help someone else!

cheers, Frank

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden codes don’t always correspond with generic fault codes.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi everyone, been looking at other threads on this topic and can’t seem to find anything with the same issue.

I have a VZ with the LE0 alloytec and after cleaning my MAF (with MAF cleaning fluid), I now get a Check PowerTrain light with DTC P2188.

What’s worse is that it appears to be intermittent as after resting the DTC, the Check PowerTrain light disappears for 3-4days., but come back whilst driving.

After reviewing the freezes frame data of the fault, my scanner tells me that there was a Fuel System Monitor Bank 1 error with the Additive Fuel (Offset) Correction failing. The results showing:

Test value : -5.86
Min limit: -5.49
Max limit: 5.48

so my question is has anyone else experienced this error, and is this because my MAF readings have changed since cleaning it? Or is it something else like leaking injectors or o2 sensors?

thanks in advance
Maybe you got a leak in the air intake? Never tightened the clamps on the rubber hose, or got a fold under it where you cannot see pushing it back on after MAF cleaning. I haven't seen the Holden one break, but I have seen those accordion folds get cracks in other cars. They can be hard to spot, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Here is a pretty good overview of things you could look out for. Heaps of good advice there.

Start with the ones you likely caused during the work. Did you have the plenum off, and have you bolted it on well? Did you unknowingly crack some plastic pipe for the EVAP system? You can disconnect them and blow in them to see, cause cracks can be so hard to find.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/articl...stem-too-lean-at-idle-bank-1-by-blake-griffin

Reactions: Lex

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Mate. I gave you the entire Holden manual on a platter. It holds your hand and walks you through how to diagnose each code.

Yep, it’s always best to follow the workshop manual diagnostic procedure. Unfortunately, for some people doing such seems like a complex time consuming task but often they spend more time and money throwing parts at the problem and whining that the DTC doesn’t tell them exactly what part is faulty…

Then you’ve got the experienced mechanic who throws parts at it but won’t stand by his erroneous judgement and refund cost if the problem isn’t solved.

So people can take their pick… follow a diagnostic process (as defined in the workshop manual) or throw parts at it and see how you go… It ain’t rocket science…

Me, I prefer a methodical evaluation and diagnosis processes rather semi ad hoc parts replacement and often erroneous judgements…

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I reckon leak from improper assembly or breakage. That one is common for me here cause the workshops are none too careful and the rubber and plastic don't hold up well in the heat. Intakes loose or broken, pipes broken. Bolts snapped off in the exhaust manifold.

I just had it in a Trailblazer. I searched everywhere for the leak. Finally, I found someone had snapped off a 10mm bolt holding the inlet manifold on behind the alternator. Last place I looked, ha ha. The other bolts were overtight and it had caused the plastic manifold to warp away the tiniest bit from the motor.

This one takes some looking sometimes cause you can't see the cracks.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
It’s these sorts of things that make automotive smoke machines a valuable tool to have. Pump the manifold full of smoke. Wait for it to come out somewhere. Found the leak.