Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P76 into vh wagon conversion

vh_agent_orange

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh commodore wagon
hi guys.

Ive got a 1983 commodore sl/x wagon ,stock standard apart from mags and
a bright orange paint job:thumbsup:

i was thinking of rebuilding the blue 202 in it.....but then i was thinking ive got a p76 v8 sitting around thats been bored out oversized pistons mild cams pacemaker headers and a borgwarner auto box with 25,000 ks on the clock any thoughts about this? and any one know if its been done before?

ChEerS...mike

eurekamad94

street kiddo
Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted, tuned, sick pantha VS
hhmmmmmm that would be a diffrent conversion ..... you would be better off askin on a valiant forum as i dont think their's anyone on here with alot of p76 knowledge

but definatly give it a go it would be awesome :D

vh_agent_orange

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh commodore wagon
thanks will do... but for the cost of getting it all put in i could get a bit of power out of the 202 (which hotted up soundS just as good as a v8 :whistling in my opinion) Has any one got any links to people rebuilding their blue 202s? any help would be appreciated!

cheers...mike

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
I would work on gettin the V8 into the VH rather than doing up the 202. 202's are nice but all the work that you are going to do to the blue motor is already in the V8. And the V8 would get more out of it.

And nothing beats the sound of an actual V8 matie :D:D

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Dunno what the Valaint forums would know about it>?. But there's been plenty of old Holdens with the p76 motor in them so it can't be impossible. Would need an engineers certificate and emissions test in a VH that's the major problem. It's much easier in the semi modern cars to go with a modern injected motor that bolts straight it (304)

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Yeah, greenfoam stole the words out of my mouth.

A mopar forum isnt going to know much about the conversion ,but will know more about the engine no doubt. Also this forum has heaps of Valiant fans and older members who will know there **** on the subject.

It would be a sweet conversion, dont get me wrong, but by the time you add up costs, engineers, labour, time and mucking around getting parts, making stuff fit, it would be cheaper and easier to use a 304 EFI setup, or just a nice 308 V8, saves the conversion, emissions and engineers (304 block conversion needs engineer) and can still make great power, and economy cheap.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Try looking up some Leyland or B.M.C sites . The aluminium V8 in the P76 sounds awesome with a sports system and extractors . This motor was also used in the Rover as well . The disc brakes on these cars were pretty good too . Heaps of them were grafted onto the HQ holdens

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The 304 inj is supposed to be engineered for the fuel lines, but I've actually never heard of anyone not being passed at vicroads for the injected conversion straight up

tigervh

SS.....smokin....!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tiger Mica EFI VH, VZ SS, XC Barina SRI
hhmmmmmm that would be a diffrent conversion ..... you would be better off askin on a valiant forum as i dont think their's anyone on here with alot of p76 knowledge

but defiantly give it a go it would be awesome :D

The P76 engine is a derivative of the Buick/Leyland/Rover/Landrover/TVR all alloy V8. Chrysler have nothing to do with it.

It should be an easy conversion. You'll need to fabricate a new set of engine mounts,gearbox cross member and custom tailshaft. The P76 were pre ADR 27a so you'll have to rig up a PCV, EGR valve, evaporative control system and intake air preheat system. ADR27A did not have any specific tailpipe emission limits apart from noise level so you only need to have the systems in place.

Of course you will have to get engineer certification.

I have seen one in a LH Torana years ago but never a Commodore. It would be a great setup in a VH, you could also adapt fuel injection from a late model Rover.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
The P76 engine is a derivative of the Buick/Leyland/Rover/Landrover/TVR all alloy V8. Chrysler have nothing to do with it.

Thats what I thought when I first read P76, then everyone else was talking Valiant/Chrysler so I was a little confused, but 8 hours sleep in 4 days I thought I shouldnt think for myself lol.