Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pacemaker Headers?

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Has anyone fitted pacemaker headers to their VZ Alloytec?
Pro's? Con's?
I may be able to get my hands on some second-hand ones for cheap and was wondering
if its worth the investment.
Are they easy enough to DIY?
Will it need a tune?

I know these are all pretty basic questions, but the only way to learn is by asking...
Cheers!

sickest

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
ive got extractors in my vz executive, paid $700 for them supplied and fitted from an exhaust shop, to me that was a fairly good price considering i called up a few other places and they told me 900+. Personally i dont think the extractors did much and were a waste of money unless you can get them for super cheap, sound wise it wont do much but it will give you some small power gains and your take off will be a little faster.

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Well a bit of a faster take-off is always nice, especially considering how sluggish the Alloytec is down low...
But your making it sound like it's not really much bang for bucK?
Is it at least significantly noticeable?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I'd say it would be a waste of dosh unless you planned on adding boost or some major engine work down the track.

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Well I certainly don't plan on forking out a fortune so sounds like it isn't worth the time and money.
In fact it doesn't seem there is much out there for the Alloytec that is all that cost effective in terms of power besides
supercharging... wouldn't you agree?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Yeah I'd agree mate, I've been looking at the CAPA OTR for my VZ for months now, I do want one but can't bring myself to shell out $600 for what will probably be bugger all difference.

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Yeh I considered it, but for the crap-all difference it will make compared to the Growler I have at the moment its pointless (besides how aesthetically sexy it looks) although even then I'd have to get the cowling to match and that alone is like $500 or something stupid.
Theres a place in Syd that does OTR's for alloytecs for under $200 if you were interested.
Much more budget looking and still likely minimal gains. Otherwise MACE have the best in-between price CAI.
Only other things I would consider are Cams or a CPR6 but yet again still WAY too overpriced!
And i don't know enough about Difs to upgrade that either.
ugh the burdens of the Alloytec. lol

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The alloytec is the type of engine that is made for economy. It is in a heavy car for it's size. It makes power high in the revs and there is nothing really that can be done about that unless you start spending big $$$.

When people say extractors aren't worth it for the minimal gains, mostly, people expect a kick in the pants afterwards compared to stock. This will never happen. Extractors change the torque curve, they will extend it and spread the available power (or torque) across a wider rev range. If you understand and accept that extractors on a V6 will never give it the same power increase as the V8's (2 extra cylinders, more capacity, way more responsive to bolt ons) then yes, they are very worth it.

What people have to get their heads around is the fact that it is just a V6, and it will respond and perform like a V6, no matter what you do. Basically, the smaller the engine, the higher you have to rev it to start making power. Look at a 2.2L V8 formula 1 engine, 12 000+ rpm. It is a V6, it is a 3.6L, accept it and you will be happy with the gains.

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Should have just asked u first NAAF.
Very fair and valid points with sufficient evidencial support.
I guess I was just having a little tantrum that i can't turn my car into a bloody spaceship for a mere $10 if you get my point haha

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
That's the thing with a V6. It will never respond like a V8 when you start modifying it. It also costs more per HP to modify as well. If you can justify the money to modify it, then good, it's your car and your money. If you want to modify it, then do it. Just keep it in mind that it is a V6 and it will always be a V6 and will only ever go like a V6.