Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pacemakers onto y-piece

fastvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Hey guys im so close to finishing my conversion (l67 into vs) now just gotta get the exhaust done and change the fuel pump, my question is I have got the extractors on the motor and rest of exhaust is still off. Now because I have gotten hold of the extractors 2nd hand they dont have the flanges to weld onto the y-piece, I know I can get the flanges easy but how can i get the flanges welded to the y piece (only till i can afford new dual high flow cats) to the correct angle without the exhaust shop seeing the car to do it because im not game enough to drive the car with only extractors on it.
Michael

Last edited:

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
all i can suggest is, since i assume the car is up on stands and room to work/ prop up exhaust while u weld is limited. get it so u think its right then tack weld the flanges to the y piece and let it hang on its own. then if u have to customise the angle a bit u wont have to grind thru a heap of weld to have another go

fastvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
thanks heaps, I was thinking just tack weld up the flanges like you said however i only have an arc welder to do this, is this ok? As I know my exhaust shop uses a MIG welder

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
im not the the most clued up bloke on welding here by a long shot but i reckon with the right rods, and if u or a mate is pretty handy with an arc welder. then it might be ok but dont take my word for it.

anyone who knows a bit about welding care to comment?