Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pain in the ass VR

Sgt Santa Cruz

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Statesman
Hi there earlier i posted a thread accussing my v6 VR to be eating fuel and it was it ate a tank of fuel to about 170km.i changed the thermostat and filled her up with that special coolant that costs about 45 bux:ranting: . now im gettin round 400k's to a tank :w00t: but the engine still runs rough as hell. i checked the codes by earthing out the no5 & 6 terminal to make sure the temp sensor hadnt sh*t itself and i got the all clear:bow: when it showed me code 12. the car still runs like crap and im thinkin of changing my 02 sensors but should i bother if its giving me the all clear???? and also i took it for a drive afterwards and forgot i had the terminal earthed out but the car ran alot better. it sounded and felt alot better. is this normal???:bang: the engine light flashed but not regurlary it flashed faster at times and sometimes not even at the same rate eg. flash-noflash-noflash-flash-noflash-flash is that normal?? please help someone

(also thanks to the awsome people before who helped me with my previous issue this site has alot of very talented people flowing through and im for ever thankful and will too pass on advice when and however i can)

ENV5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec, VC SL/E V8, 2x Lada Nivas
try a new coil pack maybe

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
New Fuel filter, and get the injectors cleaned as well. Also clean the throttle body, and clean out the idle control device.

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
Or just deal with as its probably normal. Ive learnt to.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Yea mate, your starting with the most expensive thing, as people tend to do. Dont know why they love the O2 sensors so much. Have you checked your leads? There is a how-to guide on checking you spark plug leads. It may be as simple as a lead not sitting tight on the spark plug. Push them all on tight. If you have $50 spare, just get yourself a new set, and a $10 set of spark plugs at the same time. Thats heaps cheaper and easier than o2 sensors, and far more likely to be the problem. Its a very simple job. If that doesnt work, try something else, but always start with the cheap fixes.

Coil pack.... well I dont know the price of these exactly, but I do know they are pretty reliable, and starting with the leads is your best option. Coil pack is going to be more expensive and take longer. But you can test them as well if you want.

Cleaning the throttle and IAC can wait until you have a bit more experience. Its not a hard job, but it does take a bit of patients if you havent played around with it before. This can be an option if the leads dont help.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'm with Kopper69....keep it simple because that usually is the problem. Check the "how to" section of this forum as it is a veritable goldmine.

Sgt Santa Cruz

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Statesman
yeah ive done that replaced leads and plugs but just didnt make a difference and the ecu just keeps telling me its ok but shouldnt it run worse if i drive it in diagnostic mode??? coz it runs/ changes and sounds alot better (as good as a VR with 300,000 on the clock can sound) im thinking of just leaving the paper clip in the plug haha

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Apparently the only thing that happens if you leave the paperclip in is that it will not log any new error codes till the paperclip is removed. Maybe you've discovered a new way to fix things!!!!.
Anyway, maybe there are actually more codes hidden there....I think when you read the codes you always get a 12 first and then you get any other 'logged' codes. It might pay to read this again:
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=22307&highlight=codes