Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint Issues

Wire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec 94
Hey guys & Girls
My VR is a very dark charcoal grey and lately i noticed the paint has been detererating quite rapidly, the car is always stored in a shed but it seems to be getting worse especially the roof. I know a respray is necessery but id like to slow the process down untill i can save some money. does anyone know a way to do this? it seems to be getting considerably worse each day, im not sure if its the dark colour thats soaking up more sunlight because my couzins white vs is left in the sun all day and the paint is perfect. Any help would be appreciated, PS. ill post some pics up after work

Thanks

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
One of my sons had this problem and he simply bought a few cans of clear lacquer - the type for spraying over base coats - and sprayed them on the hood. This wasn't a perfect job but it was a lot cheaper than a respray. He also used some prepsol (silicone remover) to remove any silicone polish etc before spraying. This will cost less than $20 and if done in a garage or somewhere that there is no floating dust can result in a passable job. The alternative is a respray of the hood ($400+).

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
lol, the joys of owning a white car...the pigment doesnt fade anywhere near as quickly as other colours (especially red). thats basically what your problem is, the charcoal coloured paint you have is loosing pigment and as it ages it gets worse and worse.
you could try a cut and polish, it'll look a bit better for a while but will not slow down your paints decline from lustre.

Wire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec 94
thnxs for your help, gues im gonna have to try and con my dad 2 respray it 4 me :p

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Its a shame that dark colours fade, mine faded from roof to bonnet, and paint started cracking on the doors, go the car resprayed and hopefully will not have to worry for a long time.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
sircruisealotVS said:
lol, the joys of owning a white car...the pigment doesnt fade anywhere near as quickly as other colours (especially red). thats basically what your problem is, the charcoal coloured paint you have is loosing pigment and as it ages it gets worse and worse.
you could try a cut and polish, it'll look a bit better for a while but will not slow down your paints decline from lustre.
I've got white as well for the same reason. The charcoal paint would have had a clear coat over the charcoal originally - the clear coat eventually wears away from polishing or the sun and then you only have the charcoal - if you cut and polish the charcoal you will quickly expose the undercoat. When you wet the charcoal with water or kero it will shine - this is also the effect you should get if you re-apply a clear coat. Clear coated paints are not as thick as normal paints (like white) plus the actual colour pigment particles are very large meaning you sometimes cannot polish to a high shine.....so a clear shiny coat on top achieves the shine.

Wire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec 94
Check it out

Hmm im definetly thinking a different colour next time

Attachments

• Paint Damage.jpg
    Paint Damage.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 140
  • PD4.jpg
    PD4.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 128
  • PD2.jpg
    PD2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 141
  • PD5.jpg
    PD5.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 129

Goodloox_Nogutz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR EXEC
That's the clear shitting it self. Give it a real harsh cut and polish and keep the wax up to it. Not much else you can do short of respraying it.