Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint job prepping

C-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 SS Thunder Ute 6ltr V8 manual
the plastic strips on the roof that covers the spot weld in the roof joins, I want to fill them in for a smoother look. Any reasons against this? Wondering why they are there anyway?
VZ roof strips plastic.JPG
VZ roof strips.JPG

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
That's likely where the panels are joined together, and it's easier to put a strip in than to try and smooth out and align huge joins. Roof racks would also go in this channel on sedans and wagons.

As for filling in, just packing the channel with bog isn't a good idea (not sure if that's what you had in mind). You'd probably have to make your own metal strip and stitch weld it in, then go over the top of it.

C-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds like it is just a cheaper way to build.
Yes I did just want to bog it up to be honest, but yeah I supose that could crack from any movement.
I will look into geting it welded.
Thanks for your reply
C-

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
It's basically so they can minimally modify existing panels and have them be compatible with other front end panels instead of making completely unique ones from scratch just for the ute.

Pretty much correct on the bog. Being in such close proximity to the door opening and closing would mean it would pretty much be guaranteed to crack or break if it was that thick. Also if it gets exposed anywhere in that large of a surface area it's likely to expand and crack with moisture or crack if it shrinks for some reason.

C-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
I thought about Sickaflex as it sticks to anything and will never crack from any movement. But I don't know if a thin finishing layer of bog and sprayputty would stick to it?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Leave it as original.
The strips add character to the vehicle.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Sikaflex is more of a rubber glue/sealant, most Sikaflex products are polyurethane (the same stuff bushings are made of), so no dice for Sikaflex. I've got engine mounts filled the automotive Sikaflex in one of my cars, but there is no way I'd use it as a panel filler.

Any filler really isn't an option for a space that big. You gotta remember, this will be baking in the sun day in day out at some point in its life and whatever substance you put in there will contract and expand at a different rate or just deteriorate with heat. It's not an issue when used on panels because it's so minutely thin and well sealed with paint that it's not an issue.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
lead fill it is another option...prob not a cheap or practical one but it will work

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
I have a vt which I am re painting and and pulled the stips out took of the plactic coating and thay are aluminium thay would look good polished up