Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint pains...

lil_mickey

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 253 :-)
I need to find a quick cheap way to paint a car.
The car is rubbed back ready for paint,

I was looking at roller painting like Wilso's VN i think it was, but i think that it will take too long

I will be painting out doors and only have 1 week to finish the car (including mechanical work).

The paint doesn't have to be perfect but i do want it reasonable job.

I have all the spraying gear but i have never sprayed outdoors...

the paint will be Off-the-shelf Black but i was hoping anyone could help me out here...

-Hints for outdoor painting,
-time it would take to paint
-what type(acrylic,2pac,enamal,roller paint,etc.) will look the best
-and aprox price on different methods

Thanx all

clubsport_replica

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt clubsport replica
legally cant paint 2pac in the open must be in a booth.

so that leaves acyril. and if you want it decent put the black back on the shelf as it will never look good and i supose if ur doing at in the open you would really have to lay down the colour let it dry (properly) then rub back to get everything off that has now dried ontop of the paint and then lay the clear coat and do the same then compound the car once its set.

last car i painted took 3 days but that was 2pac and start to finish inc taking apart priming and reassemble.

acyril from supercheap is wat 100 bucks n clear another 100 for 4 litres of each plus tape drop sheets etc...

hope that helps and good luck

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
cheapest way is to go buy 50 cans of export spray paint and 50 cans of clear.

will look ok for a year or 2 if ur lucky but then will be time to do it properly again

lil_mickey

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanx guys, i thought about pressure pack but works out heaps dearer and i would be more comfortable with my gun in hand...

Why not black?(as in dull? if not what then?)
and what colors will look best...

The car is a VH commodore

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Black will highlight every ding, scratch and blemish on the car that you miss during preparation. It will also show any dirt or dust that settles on the paint during the drying process. Just spraying in the open is fraught with risk - the slightest breeze will see crap sticking to your paint as you spray and the spray can be blown around by the breeze so that your finish is patchy.

You could try spraying the car in small increments (say one side only at a time), to reduce the risk and let you have more time to do a fair job. The car will look like crap for whatever time it takes to finish the job, which could be weeks depending on your time availability, but you would be able to paint part of it and still drive it around.

Some will say that the different areas won't match, and that is true for metallics and some solids, but with black, you should be reasonably safe that the colour will match. Just make sure you mix enough paint to do the whole car before painting any areas, then you just draw from your pre-mix as you need it. Make sure you stir the mix thoroughly every time you use it, before spraying.

I took months to spray an HR years ago, because I stripped each panel off, repaired it, then painted it before refitting to the car. My work space was limited and I didn't have the area to strip all panels and repair them at once. The colour was a solid beige colour. There was no mis-match of colour between the panels when it was completed.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
yea if your cars not mint or hasn't been prepped properly or your not that confident with the paint I wouldn't go black, silver seems to be a nice one to paint and white for that matter.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
hey mate when i was spraying my vl a panel shop was going to let us use their booth/f*** good spray guns, everything for $350 maybe you could find out a deal like that

lil_mickey

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanx all, the car will be off the road for 1 week to be roadworthied,
the car has been prepped and partly primed but still metal showing.

I have taken the week off work to get it done..

the body is in great shape but still, it will be done outside :(

I really wanted black but every1 has told me about how crap it will look if done outdoors so now i have to figure out a color,

I want dark to set off the chrome and i like blue so i was thinking something around the vt color "raven blue"

Any suggestions?

lil_mickey

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Members Ride
No suggestions?

I may be able to clean out the garage this week

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Black is the worst for showing blemishes, but any really dark colour will do the same. Raven is almost black with a bit of blue - nice colour but I think the probs would be the same as black.