Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint Prep Question

PhantomVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV e2 Clubsport R8
Hi guys, apoligies if something like this has already been posted, i looked for a thread an couldn't find one..

I need to know whether i should do some special prepwork between the primer and painting stages if it has been exposed to greasy fingers etc.

I have bought a VE SSV spoiler that is already primed and ready to be sprayed, however, it has been handled and carried around. So my question is, what should i do before painting, ie; clean with a damp cloth and wait to dry, use degreaser.. etc etc. Im going to paint and clear it this w/e and any help will be appreciated..

Cheers,
Dave

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
I always sand give a light sand with 600grit wet n dry, to smooth out after primer, then a quick wipe down with a quality chux wipe and prepsol, then dont touch again until the paint & clear is on and dry.

PhantomVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV e2 Clubsport R8
Thanks Tom, It's already been sanded but there are a couple of small holes that i'm not happy with, i will putty these up with primer and re-sand these bits. and ill get myself some presol.:thumbsup:

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Thanks Tom, It's already been sanded but there are a couple of small holes that i'm not happy with, i will putty these up with primer and re-sand these bits. and ill get myself some presol.:thumbsup:

If your going to putty, I would be throwing another coat of primer over it, before painting, but thats just me.

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
go grab yourself some cotton or polyester gloves, nothing with too much loose fibre that could stick to the paint.
saves having to wory about greasy fingertip marks under your colour, which can be a bloody headache.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Get yourself a tack rag while your out, just before your about to paint, give it a wipe with it to remove any fine dust particles.

Trust me, i'm a spray painter :p

blaze

ridin dirty
Reaction score
Members Ride
SILVER BULLET
sandbacl with hell fine grit paper, tack rags are around $5 or so each but u can re use many times, wax & grease remover then apply paint with a 1.5 gun or smaller... dont use spray cans!!!!

PhantomVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV e2 Clubsport R8
yeah i have a tack rag and some 2000 grit sandpaper already. Lol and I wouldn't use spray cans, I've seen their evil work on cars. I have myself a gravity-feed gun now, i've been using a couple of suction-feeds previously but gone through too much paint.

I've also bought a can of prepsol-like stuff. different brand though. Specially for applying to primed coats before painting, basically its a wax & grease remover.

So i think im set now. I may have to do it next weekend though if the weather stays like this, I heard humidity in the air will soak into the paint and dull the glossy finish.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
yeah i have a tack rag and some 2000 grit sandpaper already. Lol and I wouldn't use spray cans, I've seen their evil work on cars. I have myself a gravity-feed gun now, i've been using a couple of suction-feeds previously but gone through too much paint.

I've also bought a can of prepsol-like stuff. different brand though. Specially for applying to primed coats before painting, basically its a wax & grease remover.

So i think im set now. I may have to do it next weekend though if the weather stays like this, I heard humidity in the air will soak into the paint and dull the glossy finish.

2000?????
dont finish with that before paint as it will be too fine for the paint to stick
finish rubbing with 600 or 800 (wet) anymore and you will iffy, 1200 at most

when prepsoling use 2 rags,

soak one rag and clean the job then run over area just cleaned with the second rag
whipping excess off,
dont let the prepsol asorb/evaporate into the panel as it will come out when painting and you will have silicone dots everywhere

meaning your back at square one again

yes if the air has too much humidity it will asorb it while drying causing the clear to dull of and go white
hence why a spray booth is a dry enviroment during the spray cycle and bake cycle

kingky07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS SER II
2000?????
dont finish with that before paint as it will be too fine for the paint to stick
finish rubbing with 600 or 800 (wet) anymore and you will iffy, 1200 at most

when prepsoling use 2 rags,

soak one rag and clean the job then run over area just cleaned with the second rag
whipping excess off,
dont let the prepsol asorb/evaporate into the panel as it will come out when painting and you will have silicone dots everywhere

meaning your back at square one again

yes if the air has too much humidity it will asorb it while drying causing the clear to dull of and go white
hence why a spray booth is a dry enviroment during the spray cycle and bake cycle

i agree with this obviosly done it all before. take your time it will work out as soon as u start to rush things they come up average or worse!
good luck