Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint Protection. Should I get it or just use a GOOD Polish

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If she will live most days in the garage I would not bother with ceramic coating.
It would be more fun trying some nice waxes every now and then, like the Japanese Naviwax. Proper wax in a tub not the diluted watery liquid waxes.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
If she will live most days in the garage I would not bother with ceramic coating.
It would be more fun trying some nice waxes every now and then, like the Japanese Naviwax. Proper wax in a tub not the diluted watery liquid waxes.
Good Info. The More I get the more I will investigate and then decide. Your are the second person that recommended Japanese Naviwax, Humm Interesting!. The other guy was a Friend that works for Supercheap

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Plenty of good wax products out there now, like 4 or 5 reputable brands. I have been using Bowdens Own, grabbing some gear when SCA have it for 40% off. I think they all come on decent sales at some point if you're happy to wait.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
This is what I was saying about justification of cost for reducing effort
The best coatings will last 5 years if it’s generally garaged when not being driven, 5 years with SFA effort. Actually, a mate of mine bought his car & had it coated by the bloke all the Porsche people were recommending, and it still pills really well - that was just over 5 years ago.
But I don’t think that you can get the best product, applied in the best way, for much change from $2k.
If you’ve got the time (and if you’re not working full time then car detailing is IMHO a very rewarding way to spend productive time with your car) then spending that looooong day every 6 months to clean/polish/wax the paint isn’t costing you anything near $400/yr.
IF I do it myself (save $2000 +) I will take my time and do 2 to 3 panels a day
Yes I agree. The Vf SV6 Storm was the very first car that had Paint Protection, All other was done by hand using special stockinet in a roll and Turtle Wax. Now there is no doubt a better wax than Turtle Wax. The Only thing that I dont like regarding Turtle Wax is when it dries and on a BLACK CAR and if you have a stone chip Turtle wax fills it and it becomes cream colour

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plenty of good wax products out there now, like 4 or 5 reputable brands. I have been using Bowdens Own, grabbing some gear when SCA have it for 40% off. I think they all come on decent sales at some point if you're happy to wait.
Still waiting for 40% off days for Oil + Auto service kit for the auto on my VE Anniversity.
Bowdens Own??? Googling Now for this.
What I need is a Good wax to be used on a BLACK Car, remember one, two or three stone chips shows easily using Turtle Wax.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bowdens Own is like say McGuires its a carnauba wax.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
what I need is a Good wax to be used on a BLACK Car, remember one, two or three stone chips shows easily using Turtle Wax.

If done properly wax will have no effect on appearance. Stone chips must be dressed (cleaned), filled (primed), painted, surfaced then polished. Just dabbing casually with a brush at chips and scratches doesn't work. That will only seal in dirt, and the touch up will come away in car washes.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
They have newish techniques now for fixing chips where they pour paint into the chip and smooth it out. I can't be sure if it works on black but they can do most colours I believe.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I've seen chips being repaired using an airbrush and template, then polished over. Every Saturday morning the tradie is there beavering away in the car yard with his tool box and myriad OEM colours of paints, air tools and polishers.

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Paint protection is a con. Nothing but a profit making tool.

read the fine print and all you’re paying for is a paint repair program. You wouldn’t know if they put the ‘chemical’ on or not.

don’t waste your money.