Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint Protection. Should I get it or just use a GOOD Polish

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Super cheap has a Special today for wax and cleaning stuff for your cars, Hate when the special are on and I'm one day late.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Seems to me all you guys know all about this stuff. Maybe after the stoke I have been wipe out on what to do so if I sent you to supercheap and gave you $100 or even more what would you buy for BLACK Capice.
"EG" 1/ 2/ 3 /4

Almost nothing, maybe a few 'Bowden's Own' products and some '303 Aerospace Protectant' and 303's quick detailer isn't too bad if Supercheap sells it.

Check out some 'How Too's

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/howto/

I'd suggest you take your time before spending money on detailing the new car and familiarise yourself with what's required for a good job and check out some detailers in your area.

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost nothing, maybe a few Bowden's Own' products and some 303 Aerospace Protectant and 303's quick detailer isn't too bad if Supercheap sells it.

"O" Half expected that. What about autobahn as they have more quality stuff than Supercheap or do I need to buy all on line from others

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost nothing, maybe a few 'Bowden's Own' products and some '303 Aerospace Protectant' and 303's quick detailer isn't too bad if Supercheap sells it.

Check out some 'How Too's

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/howto/

I'd suggest you take your time before spending money on detailing the new car and familiarise yourself with what's required for a good job and check out some detailers in your area.

I put this in my bookmarks to read later.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
"O" Half expected that. What about autobahn as they have more quality stuff than Supercheap or do I need to buy all on line from others

Learn a bit then go on-line if you are serious about your car detailing, if not then the Supercheap type of brands will do the job but at a much limited standard, it all depends on how much you want to put into it. I don't drive my cars much so the effort is worth it for me, for example I can wax a car and because it's garaged and rarely driven I'll won't have to wax it again for 10 years or more, just a 2 or 3 bucket wash now and again and a bit of detailer spray and they look great.

I also do my own paint correction with a machine and hand wax using just my fingers but I'd recommend you see a pro regardless of what direction you take as I'd be surprised if that black car isn't full of swirls that need removing.

There is plenty of good advice already been given in this thread and products that will do the job, it just depends to what standard you're shooting for.

My suggestion is get the painted surface looked at by a profession and ask for a quote, it costs nothing to talk to these people and if you don't want to go with it then walk away.

Here's a few on-line sellers who sell a wider range and there is more and possibly some in your area where you can walk through the doors and ask questions.

https://detailcentral.com.au/

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/

https://www.waxit.com.au/

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Learn a bit then go on-line if you are serious about your car detailing, if not then the Supercheap type of brands will do the job but at a much limited standard, it all depends on how much you want to put into it. I don't drive my cars much so the effort is worth it for me, for example I can wax a car and because it's garaged and rarely driven I'll won't have to wax it again for 10 years or more, just a 2 or 3 bucket wash now and again and a bit of detailer spray and they look great.

I also do my own paint correction with a machine and hand wax using just my fingers but I'd recommend you see a pro regardless of what direction you take as I'd be surprised if that black car isn't full of swirls that need removing.

There is plenty of good advice already been given in this thread and products that will do the job, it just depends to what standard you're shooting for.

My suggestion is get the painted surface looked at by a profession and ask for a quote, it costs nothing to talk to these people and if you don't want to go with it then walk away.

https://detailcentral.com.au/

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/

https://www.waxit.com.au/

Yes I totally agree with you. I buy nothing today, wait until tomorrow when I have the car in the garage under flou lights too see what the Paint is like as the two time I saw the car it was raining so wash it, inspect it then make a decision what way to go if it too much for pro to do it (car cost $19500 and dont want to spend 2K on top of that but if the car cost $60K now thats different) I will do everything my self after Sir Panhead approve what I'm buying, I saw the video of the Clay bar stuff, interesting!

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Yes I totally agree with you. I buy nothing today, wait until tomorrow when I have the car in the garage under flou lights too see what the Paint is like as the two time I saw the car it was raining so wash it, inspect it then make a decision what way to go if it too much for pro to do it (car cost $19500 and dont want to spend 2K on top of that but if the car cost $60K now thats different) I will do everything my self after Sir Panhead approve what I'm buying, I saw the video of the Clay bar stuff, interesting!

It won't cost you anything like $2K to get the paint correction done if needed.

If you're lucky you may get out of it for not much more then $500 and then you'll have a good surface to work with.

Then take the car home and apply the wax yourself.

There are plenty of members offering good advice on product so don't just take my word for it as I'm just suggesting what I prefer and I have a wide range of brands I'm happy to use.

The secret to caring for your car is the way you looking after it, use the 2 or 3 bucket washing method or snow foam it, clean contaminants like bird poo and sap off as soon as possible (carry a microfibre cloth and detailing spray in the boot), if it's a garage queen then wipe it over with a quick detailer spray and lush microfibre cloth after it's been out for a cruise, never use anything abrasive on the painted surface or anywhere for that matter, don't use products that have chemicals that can strip and generally believe that everything you touch the car with has the ability to leave swirls.

If you go the ceramic coating route then the same applies, do listen to people that say different, I've seen many coated cars that look crap because their owners didn't believe they needed maintenance and care.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

That will do the job as some other branded kits also will.

Note it will need a machine polish to be effective as all black cars do and if you don't have as perfect a surface as possible then any protection you put over it locks the imperfections in.

Note is says 'Minor scratch resistance' as that is the case with all coatings but most don't admit it, no coating is completely swirl resistant, how you treat the car is what will help you with swirl minimisation.