Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint Protection. Should I get it or just use a GOOD Polish

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
Your reaction’s interesting; I’ve always been mildly amused, if slightly groany; like with a particularly bad Dad Joke.
I think they’re just trying to be a bit lighthearted & not too serious about it, and that makes sense to me because it’s an entire industry based around merely washing cars & yet the products are super expensive and people spend hours+hours+hours on stuff which to non-enthusiasts looks like exactly the same result as dragging a dirty sponge over the paint. :)
Understand what your saying but it's definitely not used friendly. auto glym don't need to stuff around with stupid names and they create a good product. I laugh at some of the Bowden's stuff but if you have ever been on angle wax website and looked at the products it makes you read through them all before you find the one your after.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
It won't cost you anything like $2K to get the paint correction done if needed.

If you're lucky you may get out of it for not much more then $500 and then you'll have a good surface to work with.

Then take the car home and apply the wax yourself.

There are plenty of members offering good advice on product so don't just take my word for it as I'm just suggesting what I prefer and I have a wide range of brands I'm happy to use.

The secret to caring for your car is the way you looking after it, use the 2 or 3 bucket washing method or snow foam it, clean contaminants like bird poo and sap off as soon as possible (carry a microfibre cloth and detailing spray in the boot), if it's a garage queen then wipe it over with a quick detailer spray and lush microfibre cloth after it's been out for a cruise, never use anything abrasive on the painted surface or anywhere for that matter, don't use products that have chemicals that can strip and generally believe that everything you touch the car with has the ability to leave swirls.

If you go the ceramic coating route then the same applies, do listen to people that say different, I've seen many coated cars that look crap because their owners didn't believe they needed maintenance and care.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
It won't cost you anything like $2K to get the paint correction done if needed.

If you're lucky you may get out of it for not much more then $500 and then you'll have a good surface to work with.

Then take the car home and apply the wax yourself.

I'm a Paranoid owner, Remember I fixed that nearly written off VE Anniversary and after a 70% respray I dont drive in on rainy days, I have a old VR to do this it our main Shopping car. Also Our Famliy has Monaro's Yes they share the 4 garage with the Caprice when it arrives tomorrow. The Monro's have rarely been on a wet road. One of them (purchased NEW when I was 21 years old a 1971 GTS 308 two door has 26500 Miles on the road and that has not been driven or had rain on it for 35 odd years and has been mothered with turtle wax since turtle wax was invented. I'm that bad I even tiled the floor in the garage so when i go to talk to the cars I dont bring cement dust back into the house. I'm like this. The Caprice V will be like this, only drive on Sundays when we go out for drive.

The Very first thing I will do when the Caprice come home I will re wash it, chamois it, them inspect the car under fluorescent lights day and night.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If you've used turtle wax for 35 years on your monaro, and the crappy paint they used back in the 70's has held up well, with such TLC, then continue with the same on your Caprice. Unless of course you can't be bothered with the effort that polishing requires, in which case use a ceramic coating after some paint prep. Careful DIY should get 90% of what the pros will achieve. Good enough i say.

Either way, being at the point in your life, that many us are, mortality must come into focus. There is no point in pampering your cars as, statistically, healthy people in their 70's wont be around to admire their efforts in another 35 years. And from what you've said, your son doesn't look after his cars, what with burger wrappers and lack of cleaning... So drive them, drive them all.

Me i'd be driving them all the time. OK, maybe not the monaro when its pissing wet as i hate to clean (and i will). There is more to enjoying vehicles that washing and cleaning them... Drive them ;) and if they get devalued somewhat due to putting lots of kms on them, well, then maybe your son should have had a bit more interest in cars and a little bit more of the old man's attitude in his vehicles :eek:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I'm a Paranoid owner, Remember I fixed that nearly written off VE Anniversary and after a 70% respray I dont drive in on rainy days, I have a old VR to do this it our main Shopping car. Also Our Famliy has Monaro's Yes they share the 4 garage with the Caprice when it arrives tomorrow. The Monro's have rarely been on a wet road. One of them (purchased NEW when I was 21 years old a 1971 GTS 308 two door has 26500 Miles on the road and that has not been driven or had rain on it for 35 odd years and has been mothered with turtle wax since turtle wax was invented. I'm that bad I even tiled the floor in the garage so when i go to talk to the cars I dont bring cement dust back into the house. I'm like this. The Caprice V will be like this, only drive on Sundays when we go out for drive.

The Very first thing I will do when the Caprice come home I will re wash it, chamois it, them inspect the car under fluorescent lights day and night.

Throw the chamois away as they stick to the surface while you're using them and replace it with one of these, it will remove a lot more water and is much more user friendly.

They come in various sizes.

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/microfibre-drying-towel-waffle-weave-extra-large.html

Turtle Wax is a cleaner and filler, it is not a polish as such. It removes some minor blemishes and hides the swirls for a short period of time, it doesn't remove them and therefore compared to true polishes it's optically poor when it comes to creating a true shine plus you have to use it time and time again to keep hiding the swirls.

A hand polish does not remove swirls unless you're Superman or maybe the Flash.

Have the swirls properly removed with a machine and as I said earlier you then have a good base for whatever you wish to do afterwards.

Ceramic coatings are an overkill for garaged cars only taken out on sunny days.

Last edited:

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I find the Autoglym range of products to be quite good. Their super resin polish is easy to apply and remove as is their ultra high definition wax. I also use the aqua wax after every wash , a couple of squirts after washing on a wet panel then dried with a micro fiber cloth.

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
I just take my car to the auro car wash every month... lol

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I find the Autoglym range of products to be quite good. Their super resin polish is easy to apply and remove as is their ultra high definition wax. I also use the aqua wax after every wash , a couple of squirts after washing on a wet panel then dried with a micro fiber cloth.

Autoglym makes some good products but their Super Resin also isn't a true polish, it removes some contaminants and hazing but not swirls.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon

You sound like me! We use a 2005 Hyundai Accent for shopping runs and doggy transport (or we did until our pup passed on...poor bub. She made it to 16) and the VF comes out for trips, weekend drives and visits to friends. I would have a conniption if I parked it at a shopping centre and some dickwad put a door ding in it!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon