Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint Protection. Should I get it or just use a GOOD Polish

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
If you've used turtle wax for 35 years on your monaro, and the crappy paint they used back in the 70's has held up well, with such TLC, then continue with the same on your Caprice. Unless of course you can't be bothered with the effort that polishing requires, in which case use a ceramic coating after some paint prep. Careful DIY should get 90% of what the pros will achieve. Good enough i say.

Either way, being at the point in your life, that many us are, mortality must come into focus. There is no point in pampering your cars as, statistically, healthy people in their 70's wont be around to admire their efforts in another 35 years. And from what you've said, your son doesn't look after his cars, what with burger wrappers and lack of cleaning... So drive them, drive them all.

Me i'd be driving them all the time. OK, maybe not the monaro when its pissing wet as i hate to clean (and i will). There is more to enjoying vehicles that washing and cleaning them... Drive them ;) and if they get devalued somewhat due to putting lots of kms on them, well, then maybe your son should have had a bit more interest in cars and a little bit more of the old man's attitude in his vehicles :eek:
The GTS 308 Monaro has been with me since new and I started using Turtle wax around 1973 or maybe 1975 or inbetteen to NOW that we are on 2020. Yes those acrylic lacquer days are gone and i must have used at least 50 bottles of Turtle wax in that time.
As for my Son, Well he stuffed up with me, I have been testing him without knowing this because he is very untidy like his mother, I hate untidiness, My Daughter is the same she is a very good girl but UNTIDY.They got the genes from my wife as My Family is extremes clean but the wife side is hopeless.

Anyhow pick up the Caprice V this arvo and it RAINING F@#$%^k. No doubt this car was driven on plenty of wet roads before but after this afternoon it will never see a wet road again.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
You sound like me! We use a 2005 Hyundai Accent for shopping runs and doggy transport (or we did until our pup passed on...poor bub. She made it to 16) and the VF comes out for trips, weekend drives and visits to friends. I would have a conniption if I parked it at a shopping centre and some dickwad put a door ding in it!
We use a VR Commodore that I bought 25 years ago as a demo for Shopping Only. Now I rebuilt a the cheap VE project car to replace the Vr but the VR wont DIE!!. This VR had done over 350,K, been in 4 states multible times and the only things I had to change 1X Coil pack, 1 X water pump, A few batteries, a few spark plug leads, a few plugs when I serviced the car, Now I always change oil every 5 to 7 thousands K's and I still have the original Uni's and the mid bearing. Changed the filter and Oil the auto box every 20 to 30 thousands K. Re- Gased the Air Con every two years and one Fuel pump and that it.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Throw the chamois away as they stick to the surface while you're using them and replace it with one of these, it will remove a lot more water and is much more user friendly.

They come in various sizes.

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/microfibre-drying-towel-waffle-weave-extra-large.html

Turtle Wax is a cleaner and filler, it is not a polish as such. It removes some minor blemishes and hides the swirls for a short period of time, it doesn't remove them and therefore compared to true polishes it's optically poor when it comes to creating a true shine plus you have to use it time and time again to keep hiding the swirls.

A hand polish does not remove swirls unless you're Superman or maybe the Flash.

Have the swirls properly removed with a machine and as I said earlier you then have a good base for whatever you wish to do afterwards.

Ceramic coatings are an overkill for garaged cars only taken out on sunny days.

I will buy at least 2 off these quality chamois

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Throw the chamois away as they stick to the surface while you're using them and replace it with one of these, it will remove a lot more water and is much more user friendly.

They come in various sizes.

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/microfibre-drying-towel-waffle-weave-extra-large.html

I previously used one of those.

When I went to CCP to replace it, they convinced that these were a better option - https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/microfibre-ultra-deluxe-drying-towel.html and I have to agree. Much larger in size and removes far more water.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
You sound like me! We use a 2005 Hyundai Accent for shopping runs and doggy transport (or we did until our pup passed on...poor bub. She made it to 16) and the VF comes out for trips, weekend drives and visits to friends. I would have a conniption if I parked it at a shopping centre and some dickwad put a door ding in it!

Dickwads are everywhere. I never park my VF In a shopping centre carpark, nor the shocking IKEA above ground or underground parks. In fact I won't park the car next to another, anywhere, and much prefer parallel parking or walking some distance to ensure it is safe from door and panel dings. My much-travelled VZ, before the current VF, had a few panel dents, mostly from the congested parking places in the NT and WA where campers were packed cheek-by-jowl, and prone to car bumps because they were packed so close e.g. Daly Waters in NT, also Port Hedland/WA. Panel damage is also common in the Spirit of Tasmania e.g. the very common stupid old codgers with keys attached on a hook to the belt of their jeans, and then sidling along the rows of tightly-packed cars, oblivious to the scratching he was causing!!:eek::mad:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I won't park the car next to another, anywhere, and much prefer parallel parking or walking some distance to ensure it is safe from door and panel dings.

I regularly do this, yet return to my vehicle to find people parked next to it, surround by empty bays.

Why ??????

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I regularly do this, yet return to my vehicle to find people parked next to it, surround by empty bays.

Why ??????
After reading Big Red’s post, I was about to make the same comment as you and then saw your post :cool:

Guess cars are a herd animals and don’t want to be on their own :p

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon

Why ??????

I often do this when a car park is filling , I pick an expensive well looked after car to park next to because the risk of them dinging my car is less than an unkempt older car , cutting my risk by 50% :cool:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
This is where I park in my local Woolworths to shop, it has an access road either side of it.

There are a few places like this in the car park and if one isn't available then I park out on the street and if I can't get close I don't care how far away I have to park or I come back another time when its not so busy.

Woolies Carpark.jpg

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Ive been told if you dont regularly leave your car in the sun/weather you dont need paint protection and a good quality polish/wax will do fine,just what ive been told,havent actually bothered to do it yet.....
My wagon lives in the shed,comes out once a week and never gets parked anywhere.....