Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint Protection. Should I get it or just use a GOOD Polish

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Paint protection is a con. Nothing but a profit making tool.

read the fine print and all you’re paying for is a paint repair program. You wouldn’t know if they put the ‘chemical’ on or not.

don’t waste your money.
Been told that 4 time today

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Bowdens Own is like say McGuires its a carnauba wax.
What about waxs that are used on black cars like Turtle Wax "ICE BLACK" Possible not available here in OZ

Last edited:

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Big advocate of Ceramic coating.
I personally would not do it myself.
Being a black car I am going to guess that there are swirl marks because if you breathe on a black car it will leave swirl marks!!! If that is the case I would go for a paint correction and ceramic coating. Yep, will probably cost $1500-$2000 but you won’t have swirl marks and greatly reduce the chance of getting fresh ones because you won’t need to use cloths etc to wash as a pressure wash will bring it back to looking killer again. No chamois either, get a blower and just blow the water drops off.
It is all I have done to mine since I had the coating done and it comes up like it was just done every time.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Paint protection is a con. Nothing but a profit making tool.

read the fine print and all you’re paying for is a paint repair program. You wouldn’t know if they put the ‘chemical’ on or not.

don’t waste your money.
This is incorrect.

There has indeed been an industry standard for new car sales of selling really cheap paint & trim protection at inflated prices. But that doesn’t mean you can’t get proper paint protection that works. A car’s paint can’t still bead water after 5 years of only washing it, without having had any polishing & waxing, unless the paint protection that had been applied had worked.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What about waxs that are used on black cars like Turtle Wax "ICE BLACK" Possible not available here in OZ
I will hazard a guess that wax for black cars is 99% the exact same **** as wax for any other car. And if we are still talking about the runny waxes that come in a bottle and you pour a little bit into a rag type waxes, they contain bugger all wax anyway. :(

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
A car’s paint can’t still bead water after 5 years
Even you’ve fallen for the marketing dribble. Why is beading the gold standard?

Beading
Sheeting
Lotus leaf
9h hardness
Ceramic

it’s all bull ****. Ready to be swallowed by the next sucker with a thick wallet and an emotional tie to their car. Seriously, those words mean absolutely nothing and were created by an industry to make you feel special.

The only reason water beads after paint protection is because the paint has been buffed. Try it. I bet you couldn’t tell which car has been treated.

i bet you have electric rust protection and a fuel system polariser in your car too.

You want paint protection that works? Get paint protection film applied.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
One thing with these paint coatings people often get confused is the hardness type like "9h hardness" they think is a mineral hardness rating where 10h is diamond but that is wrong as it is a "pencil" hardness rating which is much softer than people that purchase the coatings realize.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Even you’ve fallen for the marketing dribble. Why is beading the gold standard?

Beading
Sheeting
Lotus leaf
9h hardness
Ceramic

it’s all bull ****. Ready to be swallowed by the next sucker with a thick wallet and an emotional tie to their car. Seriously, those words mean absolutely nothing and were created by an industry to make you feel special.

The only reason water beads after paint protection is because the paint has been buffed. Try it. I bet you couldn’t tell which car has been treated.

i bet you have electric rust protection and a fuel system polariser in your car too.

You want paint protection that works? Get paint protection film applied.

A bit of elbow grease and $28 at Supercheap Wax it yourself, Then you know its been done properly,
And you probably will only use under half a bottle anyway, so you have enough for next time around,
And you have achieved it personally,
And then you can look back on how much you have saved on BS,
I guess they think,
If you can't Dazzle them with Brilliance, Baffle they with Bull !!.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
A bit of elbow grease and $28 at Supercheap Wax it yourself, Then you know its been done properly,
And you probably will only use under half a bottle anyway, so you have enough for next time around,
And you have achieved it personally,
And then you can look back on how much you have saved on BS,
I guess they think,
If you can't Dazzle them with Brilliance, Baffle they with Bull !!.
Yes, you can save a lot of money doing it yourself; but it’s a reasonable amount of effort, plus the car has to actually be available when you need the whole (long) day to do it. My better-half’s car always seems to be urgently needed whenever I’ve set aside a day & got up early to do the whole wash + polish + wax thing.

It’s not BS, it works very well; it’s just expensive.
But nobody around here needed to “waste” money on a V8 new or near-new Commodore when a ... 7yo Hyundai I40 wagon would do the trick for way less money.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
If you’re not driving it much I’d say a nice polish and wax.

I’ve been getting really good results from Dodo Juice.

Dodo Juice Lime Prime
Dodo Juice Black Widow (for black cars)

check out carcareproducts.com.au