Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint restoration VT

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Hey all, wasn’t sure where to post this thread so chose the VT one...

I have a Calais with a rough body - clear coat peel/paint fade, so I wanted to try restore it as a side job. I’ve copied links to an album so you can see the state it’s in...

I wanna do most work myself but I don’t know where to start... will it have to be sanded down or even taken back to metal? In terms of consistency/blending in the paint could I touch up by sections? what are costs and supplies like? is it ideal to touch up the blemished parts and give it to a shop to fix the roof/pillars or a respray is overall better? I don’t mind prepping the roof and pillars for a shop how would I go about it?

Pretty much it’s just the roof, pillars, rear guards and doors that need attention. The doors aren’t bad but they aren’t perfect the paint is still good though there’s only clear coat peel along the top on all 4 doors. Could also swap the doors out

Any tips/advice/guidance/experience is really appreciated

Cheers
https://ibb.co/qds8hp0
https://ibb.co/M6cC2DY
https://ibb.co/qYkFLCs
https://ibb.co/QXR3gJL

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
To do a full respray your looking at around 900-1200 for the gear needed.
The Roof you should get on top of the rust before it eats to far into the metal, probably wire brush on a drill or grinder to remove the surface rust then itch prime it after you prep wash it, if its reel bad rust converter.
Blending never works best to do the whole area or it will stand out.
What's the paint code is it a base or a solid?
2k the way to go, you will need 4L of base or solid, around 2.5L primer, 4L of clear and hardener if you choose hardener or air activate 2k, doing the prep and priming also the base coat is the easy part the clear that's the tricky bit, avoiding orange peel.
Looks like the back window going to need to come out could be rust under the rubber as the rubber seal not looking good, I imagine the front be the same.
Depending on your paint code will determine if you need the clear, if its solid and you want to give it a crack you can buy solid 2k with hardener or just 2k air activated but wont be a hard shell finish. It will take 2 cans for the roof and 3 for bonnet with left over, I used Max spray with activator no clear needed.
PS. when doing the roof take it down to the joins on the side, do each section at a time for best result.

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Hey Trevor appreciate your feedback
Paint code: F118/Rubens red mica/metallic.
Website either says solid or metallic for paint type so I’m assuming it’s a base then?

so how should I start? paint stripper on the panels or grind/sand back to metal or scuff it up to get the surface even then clean, prep, prime, paint, clear? I’d research on YouTube etc but I’m not sure if I should rely on it

are there quick touch ups for the clear peeling along the top of the doors? Was thinking of sanding it back lightly and leave it be or I’d rather swap the doors out or just leave it considering the whole door isn’t compromised

cheers

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Search spray painting on gumtree in your area sometimes can find an out of work spray painter or weekend job doing it on the cheap ..

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Search spray painting on gumtree in your area sometimes can find an out of work spray painter or weekend job doing it on the cheap ..
Yeah I’ll try gumtree but not keen to fork out a lot on a VT even if it is a v8. Guess it’s gonna come down to weighing between home job or all out..

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Hey Trevor appreciate your feedback
Paint code: F118/Rubens red mica/metallic.
Website either says solid or metallic for paint type so I’m assuming it’s a base then?

so how should I start? paint stripper on the panels or grind/sand back to metal or scuff it up to get the surface even then clean, prep, prime, paint, clear? I’d research on YouTube etc but I’m not sure if I should rely on it

are there quick touch ups for the clear peeling along the top of the doors? Was thinking of sanding it back lightly and leave it be or I’d rather swap the doors out or just leave it considering the whole door isn’t compromised

cheers
Join the holden cheep paint clear cancer disaster. Needs a full respray before whole car becomes bad like the roof. For a better job in this weather the 2pac mica/metallic paint needs a spray booth, if you do the time consuming prep to save some $'s then get it sprayed in a proper shop. The prep is easy to do anywhere.
For roof do as TLH suggested using epoxy primer(in a spray can easier) after getting it to bare metal, and dont scratch metal to much and when done, coat roof with a 50/50 solution of White vinegar/water to disolve any rust marks left and then rinse of and dry and then straight away spray the epoxy/sealer/primer so no surface rust develops and its ready for the painter to prime/base coat colour/clear.
For rest of car use a da sander 80grit paper and sand rest of car clear/base colour to a smooth scratchless finish 120 grit paper, don't sand to deep and break thru to metal if you do, spot metal spots with epoxy.
Thats it for prep, the rest the painter will do with 2pac primer filler for body panel dents/blocking/base color coats/clear coats and its done and will last.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
no if buts or maybe's this is a respray. Clear on a lot of different cars does this you see it everywhere.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If its a 97 model then its Rubens red mica, if its metallic it will have the speckles in it. If you grab the max cans with activator in 2k you be happy with it. If you want it to be show room look then just prep it all and put it onto a trailer and get it done at the shops, most of the cost is prep work so if you remove all the trimming, glass front and back as it needs new rubber seals, lights badges with heat gun and prep it you save around 400-500 in labour.. If you decide to tackle it then get a good respirator mask and plastic overalls. I found spraying those cans is to lay it down a little more heaver but not that it runs, give the first coat a light coat then a heavy coat makes it shine more.

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
no if buts or maybe's this is a respray. Clear on a lot of different cars does this you see it everywhere.
Any places you’d recommend in Sydney?