Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint Stripper

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
I need to strip a front bar back to bare plastic and was wondering if it is safe to use paint strippers on plastics or if there is some types that are/are not suitable etc or any other methods recommended. Any advice appreciated.

groberr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr equipe
hey mate i used paint stripper on my vr bumpers with no dramas, however the panel beater since told me that it was a big no no as it could have eaten into the bumpers and melt them. so u can use it but it is risky. the choice is up to you i guess the stripper i used was sellys quick strip from bunnings and i did not leave it on for very long ie the can said leave for lik 15 mins i only left it for 5 to try and no let it seep threw to the plastic, i only used it on really small sections at a time and gave it a verygood clean straight after the paint came off also if u do decide to go along with the paint stripper make sure you use a plastic scraper over a metal one because the sharp edge of the metal scrapers will dig into the plastic and will take a bit of work to repair.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
why do you need to return the bar to plastic?

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
why do you need to return the bar to plastic?

Its a genuine vs clubsport bar and I want to take it back to bare plastic because the paint on it now is not suitable for me to use as a base coat. It appears to have had several resprays as the paint on it is extremely thick and is cracking/flaking off in several places. I know your average paint strippers are not suitable for use on plastics so was wondering if there is a particular brand/type specifically suitable for use on plastics or even if there is another product to the same effect.

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
there's a product at paint shops called citristrip, comes in aerosol or rub on.
grab the aerosol stuff, works like a charm and won't eat through the plastic unless you leave it on for a few days or something stupid like that..

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
why cant you chip off the old paint and feather the edge back over a large distance?

Paint stripping fibreglass and especially plastic can destory it, at work stripping any type of plastic or fibreglass is the biggest no no. It can weaken the core in regards to fibreglass and warp and literally melt plastic, like you've been holding a flame up against it.

Being a genuine vs clubby bar I wouldnt be taking the risk mate

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
if you got a good plastic scraper you might be able to scrape it off dry, without any chemicals if it is already cracking and flaking. I scraped a whole (metal) boat like that once, its slow but effective, and you are left with a clean dry surface.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Cheers for the comments guys, much appreciated. Looks like i'll play it safe with many hours of hand sanding ahead of me :yeah:

joel448

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR LEXCEN/COMMODORE
yer i wouldn't use it man, plastic can tend to adsorb strippers and cuase paints to blister, if you do make sure you give it a good going over with prepsol