Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

paint the rocker cover questions

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
so i wanna paint the rocker cover but what about that bastard of lead holder thing attached to the air intake.

should i just get a thin piece of rubber and glue it on some how to stop scrathcing the cover, sounds like a good idea?

maybe grind the metal back abit?

oh, theres no type of clear coat you can use on engine bits is there? just a good paint and bob's your uncle?

Cheeers ALLLL :drink:

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
one more thing... can you paint a plenum??? my book says u cant but ive seen a few plenums on the net in different colours...

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
so i wanna paint the rocker cover but what about that bastard of lead holder thing attached to the air intake.

It should all come off man, I'm trying to remember it, pictures? But I'm fairly sure you can just pull everything off with screws or bolts. But it all comes off.

should i just get a thin piece of rubber and glue it on some how to stop scrathcing the cover, sounds like a good idea?

Where? Probably not though.

maybe grind the metal back abit?

Same as normal prep man, sand it back like you were painting a normal panel, the better the prep the better it will stick, and because its a hot surface you will need it to be decent.

oh, theres no type of clear coat you can use on engine bits is there? just a good paint and bob's your uncle?

You can use clear, but most cheaper spray pack clears contain yellow pigments, when they get hot they go yellow.

Basically if you want to get engine bay stuff done, plenums especially, look at getting them High temp coated, powdercoating but it can withstand the heat better. The rocker cover would be fine with a normal paint job, but it could potentially chip eventually.

Careful with your gasket when you pull the rocker off as well.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
It should all come off man, I'm trying to remember it, pictures? But I'm fairly sure you can just pull everything off with screws or bolts. But it all comes off.

Where? Probably not though.

Same as normal prep man, sand it back like you were painting a normal panel, the better the prep the better it will stick, and because its a hot surface you will need it to be decent.

You can use clear, but most cheaper spray pack clears contain yellow pigments, when they get hot they go yellow.

Basically if you want to get engine bay stuff done, plenums especially, look at getting them High temp coated, powdercoating but it can withstand the heat better. The rocker cover would be fine with a normal paint job, but it could potentially chip eventually.

Careful with your gasket when you pull the rocker off as well.

Thanks mate, yeah i got the heatproof high temp stuff to use, nice maroonish/purple colour looks sweet! yeah the gasket should be fine only replaced it a month or so ago, but ill becareful :thumbsup:

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Hey bud have a look in my pics on my my account. i took mine to work and sandblasted it then powdercoated it Flame Red
Looks Mint.
Goodluck goon

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Hey bud have a look in my pics on my my account. i took mine to work and sandblasted it then powdercoated it Flame Red
Looks Mint.
Goodluck goon

Fk yeah, yours looks sweet mate!!! :thumbsup: i can't wait to get mine done!!! I\m thinking of taken the engine out for the weekend and getting to the rest of it too, ive got an engine crane, so why not use it :yeah:

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
image282hx5.jpg

with my rocker cover i panited it and cleared it
make sure all your prep is spot on, prime it and then more prep before paint

as for my intake plenium
i had my completly appart and got it pan blasted at my dads work, then simply gave it a dust coat of VHT Flame proof paint in alluminum colour

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
whats a good brand of clearcoat to use???

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
i found what i was after, its all good.