Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

paint

Sam Barnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx s pac
I’ve got a vx sedan that I’m looking to buy paint for, it’s currently painted in phantom mica Ko25. I plan to paint it with the same colour or in phantom black but with a red flake, I’m just not sure how much paint, primer an all the other stuff I’ll need. If I could get a list of what I need n the amounts would be a help.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
What is the surface condition like at the moment?
Pretty good nick? Or flakey paint, dents etc.

Both colours look to be pearlescent so would require a good starting base (ie full prime and block back with fine sand paper, seal any rub throughs) and then clear coat over the base coat.

Sam Barnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx s pac
Got

Both colours look to be pearlescent so would require a good starting base (ie full prime and block back with fine sand paper, seal any rub throughs) and then clear coat over the base coat.
got a couple small dents around, one big dent. Some fade n scratches

Sam Barnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx s pac
Got

got a couple small dents around, one big dent. Some fade n scratches

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
4L primer
2L color
3L clear
Plus hardener and thinner

Don't forget the respirator and protective clothing for spraying 2k :)

I'd tend to go 4L of colour so you've got extra if you ever need to re-do a panel etc you know it's been mixed to the exact same tint/hue etc. If you get it colour matched and mixed by someone else down the track you may find in certain lights you can slightly see the difference, particularly with metallic colours.

Nothing worse than needing to re-do the panel after a year or so from a scratch or a bump and getting a new batch mixed up thats ever so slightly different. I had that with Silver Ice for a VS a few years ago, two different crash shops both mixed PPG Silver Ice but in the right light you could slightly see a difference between the two.

Buy a good quality body filler if your going to fill the dents (I'd recommnend this route if your not super confident or experienced in repairing dents otherwise you can be left with ripples in the panel etc).

You say you've got some fade, if the clear is starting to oxidise your going to have to get rid of all that. If you spray over oxidising clear it will delaminate after a few months.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8

I'd tend to go 4L of colour so you've got extra if you ever need to re-do a panel etc you know it's been mixed to the exact same tint etc.

Nothing worse than needing to re-do the panel after a year or so from a scratch or a bump and getting a new batch mixed up thats ever so slightly different.

Buy a good quality body filler if your going to fill the dents (I'd recommnend this route if your not super confident or experienced in repairing dents otherwise you can be left with ripples in the panel etc).

You say you've got some fade, if the clear is starting to oxidise and peel at all your going to have to get rid of all that. If you spray over oxidising clear it will delaminate after a few months.
Good thoughts.

But also, if your mixing is only 90% good enough, your future respray will come out slightly greener or bluer or lighter etc etc no matter what you do.
Maybe only a problem if the panels are butting up to each other directly.
And COB touch ups usually blend down adjacent panels anyway which will hide any slight variances.

Sam Barnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx s pac

I'd tend to go 4L of colour so you've got extra if you ever need to re-do a panel etc you know it's been mixed to the exact same tint/hue etc. If you get it colour matched and mixed by someone else down the track you may find in certain lights you can slightly see the difference, particularly with metallic colours.

Nothing worse than needing to re-do the panel after a year or so from a scratch or a bump and getting a new batch mixed up thats ever so slightly different. I had that with Silver Ice for a VS a few years ago, two different crash shops both mixed PPG Silver Ice but in the right light you could slightly see a difference between the two.

You say you've got some fade, if the clear is starting to oxidise your going to have to get rid of all that. If you spray over oxidising clear it will delaminate after a few months.
4L Mixed Colour*
5L 9900 Premium HS Clear
2.5L HS Hardener
5L Reducer
4.75L 1099 HS Primer filler kit
I found on the hamr website doing a deal with all that ^ is that best option or would some that not be needed