Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painted badges chipping

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Sv6 ute
Hey all, last weekend i painted my front badge and side vents satin black now it came out looking awesome but i am wondering how to stop the chipping. I've already noticed chipping on my front badge, Should've i used a primer on it first and should i also put a clear coat on it. This was my first time srapy painting anything so am not sure what i should've done to make it better. The spray paint i used was dupli-color was recommended by one of the workers at autobarn but didnt say anything about clear coat or primer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I've always scuffed up the chrome first then appled Etch Primer though some will disagree and say use an Epoxy Primer or both but just the Etch Primer has always worked well for me.

Can you strip it and start again?

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
Clear coat will protect it, I always put clear over things I paint and never had a problem with chipping unless I drop something heavy on it by accident. Clears aren't always necessary but an option.
Is the paint enamel or acrylic?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Anything painted needs to be scuffed up and have a primer first then the finish/top coat.

I feel Dupli-color is acrylic from memory....Not hard to test with smell or thinners wiped on.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Sv6 ute
Clear coat will protect it, I always put clear over things I paint and never had a problem with chipping unless I drop something heavy on it by accident. Clears aren't always necessary but an option.
Is the paint enamel or acrylic?

Pretty sure its acrylic will have a look tomorrow and see for definite.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Sv6 ute
Anything painted needs to be scuffed up and have a primer first then the finish/top coat.

I feel Dupli-color is acrylic from memory....Not hard to test with smell or thinners wiped on.

Ok cheers. Seeing as though its chipped pretty bad now might be worth just buying a new front badge already painted. The side vents that i did seem to be doing pretty good not a single chip on them.