Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting 5 speed vy gear knob silver

Vys04

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy s 2004
Hey all probably been posted few times before can't find it but if anyone could post a link/how to etc, on painting a vy 5 speed manual gear knob satin/silver?.. How do you remove to gear knob, what paint to use stuff like that. cheers any help would be great

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I can't imagine any paint would hold up to the wear it would get from daily use?

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
I can't imagine any paint would hold up to the wear it would get from daily use?

2k paint will hold out for a for a while. Main issue is that constantly handling it will cause your Matte colour to eventually become shiny. It will be like slowly but surely polishing it up with your hand.

The one in my vz is factory matte silver and has held its matte look ok. It's some kind of wrap though (can tell by the way it's bubbling up). Maybe look into getting it wrapped with some good quality vinyl. Might hold out longer.

Edit: just before anyone else says it, just realised what I wrote sounds real dirty :smoking:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
buy a genuine one - the factory ones are metal and will not wear.

Auto's are easy to find I imagine a manual one might be harder - but it'll be worth it in the long run.

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
buy a genuine one - the factory ones are metal and will not wear.

Auto's are easy to find I imagine a manual one might be harder - but it'll be worth it in the long run.
Agree but the manual ones are a bit steep but that's a 6spd.