Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

painting black plastice trim....help

reidy1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
hi guy i am thinking about painting my side skirts, fornt and rear bumper plastics to match the colour of my car. i own a vx exec. i have seen this done and i want to give it a go. my main concern is the paint cracking and chipping away later down the track. do you rekomend i get it done profesionaly sprayed? id rather do it myself coz im cheap and have nothing to do on the weekends. if i were to go ahead with it what type of paint do i use and where do i get it from? will it cum out exaclty colour matched or will there be a slight difference? also looking at doing mirrors and trolly strip. all other tips and suggestions welcome

cheers

Last edited:

Mc Nugget

Aka ShiZzl3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II - LOWERED - 19's - HID's...!
id like to do the same, don't want to pay $500 + jsut for those lower sections painted.

i also want my mirrors color coded.

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
It will look off. These colours are not one single colour like you may think, They are made of of many different colours, at least 5. Holden Use Glasurit paints, maybe if you could get a copy of your cars colour formular you could get a Spray painter to mix you up a batch. Other then that it will look ****.

Ben

reidy1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
where can i find a copy of the colour formular?

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
don't autobahn mix colours on request?
I heard you can go in ther with your colour ie. 'bermuda blue' or 'tiger mica' and they will mix it up for you.
However, these particular colours vary slightly as well. your particular 'bermuda blue' or 'tiger mica' may have say 5 variants, so if they can mix it specifically, see if you can go by your colour code on your build plate.

reidy1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
probly a stupid question but dont they make touch up paint in the same colour as my car. can i just use that or is that a bad idea??

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
Yeah, you get it from holden and that. Suss it all out though, it may be cheaper to get it in bulk for your application as you are not touching up a few scratches. so getting it (touchup paint) from holden may or may not be the best option.

fat084

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk 84
hey guys if you just use the autobarn stuff it will just fall off
the reason it cost so much at the shop is cause they use primer that makes the paint stick to the plastic and match the colour plus masking up and so on cause it can end up costing more
some panel shops do a cheaper job for cash or if you strip yourself

vt_ss_5l

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx SS Gen III
Get The Paint code off the car on the ID Trim Example B171 Take that to the paint Shop Like paintmobile Ect Your Local Auto paint Supplier Not Autobarn Get Base Coat And Some Clear 2k Platic primer a Good Air compressor 14CFM Min Not a Super cheap One Then get some info on how to Spray and Try it if thats to Hard Then Thats The Reason We Charge 500 Bux a Bar !

reidy1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
hmm...ill give holden and auto barn a call nd c what they can do..do supercheap auto or auto barn stock the touchup paint or do i have to buy it from holden?