Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting break calipers

ICUBYE

Do I Smell Burnin Rubber?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0Litre '96 Series 1
hello hello,

just looking at painting my calipers, i picked up front and rear DBA slotted rotors today and bendix advance pads, im getting some VY SS 18's on the weekend.

i want the calipers to look schmick.. how should i got about cleaning and painting them??? any ideas???

Cheers

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
I just repainted my front ones. use caliper paint (i used VHT). get some brake cleaner (Comes in an can and can be sprayed on) just don't get any on your paint work cos it is lethal stuff. here is a pic of mine.
Image240.jpg

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
the black would be off the brake pads i assume and it would be easyer to take them off the car so u can get to the rear easyer BUT you will have to bleed the brakes after u refit them.

as for colour its hard to match to ur colour, what about a silver sort of colour as they will stand out a bit but not shown off the wheels

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
thanks mate. i had to change the brake pads too, so i had to remove the caliper anyway. i masked it off to paint it two different colours. two bolts hold it on at the back of the caliper. then it just pulls off. the caliper will compress the pads when you take it off so wedge something in there to stop it. if it does it's no biggie just need to compress the pad back in then slide it on the rotor to put it back together. you can do it with it still on the rotor it is easier in one way but makes it harder when painting it completely. it will take most of the day to do so take your time and make sure you have a full day to do it. i started a about 9am and finished about 3-4pm including clean up.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
you can do what ever colour you want, even the same colour as your car. you have to buy a heat proof primer and clear. spray the primer then your colour (doesn't have to be heat proof) then the clear. a guy i know did this and it worked a treat. he had a maroon vt and painted the rotors the same colour as the car.

Dragz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
thats mad thnx for info...you should do a how to...:D

Dragz.