Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting Cars Black!

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
I think I was quoted about $200 or something for 4 litres of acrylic lacquer at a place like Autobarn. 4 litres should be enough to do the job, not sure about the entire car though. You would thin the paint to about 2-3 TO 1. You would need to fiddle a bit to get the right flow. If you have an air compressor and gun, you could do it yourself. Painting is an art though. You are either half decent at it, or completely shithouse at doing it. I am not sure how good I am. I will see when I respray my quarter panel and bumper bar in the next few weeks! :)
The cost of the paint varies heaps. The type of paint (2-pak or Acrylic) whether it's metallic or not etc, all contribute to the price. 2-Pak, and metallic paints being the more expensive.

4 litres is plenty to respray an early holden, especially if thinning at the 3:1 ratio.

Slim, you're spot on when you said "painting is an art, you're either half decent or shithouse" But you should do alright if you follow the basic techniques and pre-work to the letter!

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Oh yeah don't forget to know what to do before you put the paint on ;)

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Slim, you're spot on when you said "painting is an art, you're either half decent or shithouse" But you should do alright if you follow the basic techniques and pre-work to the letter!

I know I ain't that good at painting inside the house (that's why Mum does that!) but I will soon find out. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know crap about it, but I am going to learn real quick. Probably within 5 minutes of pressing the trigger lever on my paint can. :)

I think there is a difference between painting with a roller and painting with an air gun. I look forward to seeing how I go. :D

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
I know I ain't that good at painting inside the house (that's why Mum does that!) but I will soon find out. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know crap about it, but I am going to learn real quick. Probably within 5 minutes of pressing the trigger lever on my paint can. :)

I think there is a difference between painting with a roller and painting with an air gun. I look forward to seeing how I go. :D

Well, honestly, it's not hard at all! if I can do it, anyone can.....

The main thing to remember is, 1. To test your gun before spraying the vehicle. And test it everytime you refill the pot. And 2. Keep your painting motion consistant and even.

Stick to those 2 things, and you'll do fine!

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
have you thought about the monaro devil yellow???

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
It's easier than painting by hand (my uncle painted his first car, a Mini, bright yellow by hand and apparently you could see the brushstrokes)

Make sure you apply light even coats and try not to make it drip. Also, mask everything up well, it has a habit of spraying all over the place (overspray)

A-TEAM AUTOMOTIVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais 3.3 efi
if u wanna hide ur dints n scratches well go 4 a custom red. it turns heads and still looks good even when the cars dirty Ohyeah

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
dints... you're victorian yeah???

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Well, honestly, it's not hard at all! if I can do it, anyone can.....

The main thing to remember is, 1. To test your gun before spraying the vehicle. And test it everytime you refill the pot. And 2. Keep your painting motion consistant and even.

Stick to those 2 things, and you'll do fine!

Clean your gun when u finsh ;)
Dont drop the gun ;) Or you'll f it!
Wear face protection if in closed area.. for mouth, nose and eyes. "I have photos where all u can see is gloss in the air!"

SiLeNt-SoN

2000 WH Statesman
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 model WH statesman
Yeah

my mates dad sprays cars so hopefully he will do it for minimal costs lol

iv been looking at various yellows, anyone got links to some nice ones?

most of the ones i have seen are dull and not glossy......