Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting Cars Black!

SiLeNt-SoN

2000 WH Statesman
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 model WH statesman
Hey all....

I am currently deciding on what colour to paint my commy, its yellow at the moment and pretty shabby at best..

i am thinking a nice not to shiny black coat, i recon vks look very nice black, and have the bottom half another colour such as red. I have discussed this with my mates but they all recon painting any car black, especially mine due to like 3 dints in front end will make the car still look crap.

i want to know if black is a nice choice, or what colour do u think works well??

thanks people:thumbsup:

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Respray it yellow. I think black VK's look terrible. Black just doesn't look good with VK's IMO.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
^^^ I agree. There is a heap of different shades of yellow about.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Don't go black unless you have a completely dent free, immaculate car. Black has a habit of making even the tiniest little dent stand out like all hell.

I agree with rest about the yellow. It'd look awesome! But a nice deep metallic blue would look sweet as well. But ultimately, the choice is yours.

SiLeNt-SoN

2000 WH Statesman
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 model WH statesman
Yeah, just geting some nice yellow paint is hard and expensive for me to find.......

yeah i dunno, i just sprayed all my intirior black and thought this might look ok.

yellow is looking the nicest and also have not seen many yellow vk's about.

where, how much and how many leters would i need to do the job?

any ideas welcome

thanks

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I saw a yellow VK once and I wanted it. Yellow is a colour that looks very nice IMO. As 1vngal said, a metallic blue would look nice but you'd want to do the whole lot including engine bay and inner doors.

SiLeNt-SoN

2000 WH Statesman
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 model WH statesman
yeah,

i recon leaving it yellow, just doing a nice coat of a darker yellow would look the goods.

what info u know on where and how much paint would cost for the job?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I think I was quoted about $200 or something for 4 litres of acrylic lacquer at a place like Autobarn. 4 litres should be enough to do the job, not sure about the entire car though. You would thin the paint to about 2-3 TO 1. You would need to fiddle a bit to get the right flow. If you have an air compressor and gun, you could do it yourself. Painting is an art though. You are either half decent at it, or completely shithouse at doing it. I am not sure how good I am. I will see when I respray my quarter panel and bumper bar in the next few weeks! :)

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
Black absorbs heat, making the interior hotter than normal, and it shows up dirt very easily.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
It'll be hot mate in the day or out in the sun if its a hot area u live in trust me ! :D

Better off using black for a secondary colour rather then the one colour.