Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting dramas

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I need advice as I have stuffed up my painting job on the ute roof. Started out by getting a really nice job, plenty of shine straight off the gun with white acrylic. Then when I was wet rubbing the curve in the roof edge I went too hard and had a thin spot about the size of a 50c piece. It wasn't really bad but a in the right light you could see it was thin. Deciding it wasn't perfect and me being anel I repainted it. This is where the drama began. I foolishly taped and papered half the roof as I had seen other people's cars that had obviously done that, because you could see the straight primer line. Well this was a complete and utterly stupid mistake. There was a sharp edge left and when I was trying to feather out the sharp edge I caught the edge and it started to peel like a hard boiled egg. I have lost about 1/3 of the last painting I did. I have managed to get about 2/3 of the paint back feathered out and to a point where it is not lifting. The rest I am about to try and feather in a few minutes.

Guess what I need to know so I don't have a problem again is, was the taped edge the issue? Or was it because I didn't prime the whole area? Youtube said you shouldn't always prime before top coat, because it can create a lot more work getting the edges right. I just used acrylic thinners and not blending thinners, would this be why it lifted? Although having said that some of the paint work I did has stuck really well. Would cold weather make it not bite? I just want to sort it and not have to go over it a fourth time. Funny thing is the bonnet went on fine and has taken really well and the only thing I did different was to allow the edge overspray to get on the bonnet which I can wet rub with 1200 and then 2000 before I buff.