Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

painting engine cover?

Thessman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Ss s2
hey guys, so i want to paint the engine cover on my vx ss. i can paint it all myself as ive done an apprenticeship in spray painting but im curious, has anyone done this and if so did u use heat resistant paint and lacquer or just regular two pac lacquer and paints? also, did u primer it first? i was just going to sand the silver bits with wet and dry and spray white paint over the top and leave the black on the side as is. oppinions? help?

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
might want to remember the plastic primer

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/136126-i-got-bored-so-painted-engine-cover.html

This is a thread of mine, the paint i used was left over paint from a spray can i bought, all it was, was touch up paint i got because i bought a new door handle which needed to be color coded, so the engine is same as color as my car, and the red was nothing special, was actually left over house paint, this was done a long time ago, and still looks perfect. so yeah paint can actually take alot more heat then most people expect

azza77

Kiss my coight
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Super6
F*ck the cover off all together, polish the manifold and get it anodized :)

the cover only holds the heat anyway...

If you want to paint the cover you will need to use a plastic primer, you may be able to get away with non high heat paint but im not too sure what the engine bay temps get like on those V8's. Trial an error.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
I painted mine on my 5.0L recently but it's a metal not plastic I was painting.
my thread was located in the photoshop threads, turned into a bit of a project thread :p

Thessman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Ss s2
i actually did forget about primer :p. i dont want to take it completely off because i really like the look the motor with it on. makes it look more tidy i think.

Thessman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Ss s2
lufkin, have u painted the rocker covers? i think that would finish it off nicely.