Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

painting engine covers....

jamex101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Calais
hey all, ive read several posts on how to paint etc (clean it lots and stuff) but i was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to do the lettering and the deep strips different colours? i tried to use vaseline as someone suggested but it turned out pretty crap to be honest and i'm gonna respray it in a little while.
any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Could try masking tape and a stanley knife?

I think you would be better off spraying it all 1 colour then sanding back the risen parts and painting them with engine enamel by hand though.

jamex101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Calais
yeah but the injection lettering and the "lines" are actually set in the cover, not raised like the V6 3800

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
After cleaning the covers on my 5.0L, I painted the sunken bits like "5000 Injection" in high temp red paint, then sanded back everything else to leave a polished silver cover with red recessed letters. Looks awesome.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I handpainted the "SEQUENTIAL INJECTION" lettering and the V6 3800, all you need is a staedy hand and a lot of patience! The concave stripes are another story though, I did these by using masking tape along the top. Bad idea, I'm going to re-do the whole lot and forget the stripes. Check out my profile pics for the original lettering job done a couple of years ago. Looks nice.