Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting My Front Bumper

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Hi All,

Went down to the panel beater today to see how much they would charge to paint the front bumper for my VS (Heron white). He said it would be over $200 for him to do it, i told him that was out of my price range, so he suggested i go and buy a pressure pack of heron white paint and do it myself.
So, what exactly is a pressure pack? And roughly how much do they cost? (i only need to paint the bumper).
No one sells pressure packs where i live, so i will have to get one next time i am in the big smoke.

Cheers

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Hey mate, a pressure pack is just a spray can. paint shops can mix up almost any colour to match your car. from what i have seen on here people usually pay between $20 - $40 dollars but remember you will need primer and a clear coat too, though these will be cheaper because they are generic, not specific like your heron white. you'll also need some different grit wet/dry paper.
otherwise should be an easy job mate.
Cheers.

K Lewy

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L 1997 VT S Pack; 5 Spd Man
People commonly refer a pressure pack to a "Spray can". So Local retailers: Suprecheap Auto, Autobarn, and so forth.

Take your paint code ay, then just get the right paint, or look on the cans, then go crazy.
I did the same thing to my front bar, on my VT, it turns out ok. Make sure you clear over top, other wise HELLO ORANGE PEEEL EFFECT. Ha Ha

Basicly i got told will look different all the time, because car is painted in 2PAC paint and i painted front bar in Acrylic, and also the paint on metal sits on surface, and on plastic it sinks in.

But i recently got a professional to spray my rear garnish, and looks perfect, and i think that is plastic.

Also locals around my area charge $200 to Spray and fit.

Cheers

327.JPG
Theres a picture of my car, not much different.

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Cheers guys!
Yeah, i thought i would have to use a primer, but what do you mean by a clear coat?
Whats the difference between 2PAC and Acrylic? Do pressure packs only come in Acrylic?
K Lewy, in that photo, is that the bumper you did with the pressure pack? It looks basically the same as the cars colour ay.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Clear coat is just another coat of clear finish to go over the top to help protect it
2pak paint is a very strong paint that ideally is baked onto the surface, it is very toxic and usually done only by professionals. it will be acrylic in the pressure pack.

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Thanks sweefu. Does the Heron White on the VS have a particular paint code, or is it just Heron White?

Victimiza

LG, v8.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II SS 380rwhp, VZ calais
Hi mate, as previously stated a pressure pack will cost you anywhere between $20 and $40, another 20each for the clear coat and primer. Unfortunately it wont look anywhere near as good as if you get it done proffesionally, and you're not saving that much money, try ringing around and see if you cant get it done cheaper.

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Hi mate, as previously stated a pressure pack will cost you anywhere between $20 and $40, another 20each for the clear coat and primer. Unfortunately it wont look anywhere near as good as if you get it done proffesionally, and you're not saving that much money, try ringing around and see if you cant get it done cheaper.

Hi mate. Would i only need 1 pressure pack to do the bumper or would i need a couple?
Yeah i have been ringing around to see who could do it the cheapest. I rang one place and they said they could do it for $120

K Lewy

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L 1997 VT S Pack; 5 Spd Man
Yeah i have been ringing around to see who could do it the cheapest. I rang one place and they said they could do it for $120

Mate , $120 is cheap.
By the time ya buy all stuff, work out like 80 Ha and wont look anywhere as good.

Took me 4 X 150Gram Cans valued at $12 Each
Bumper Prime = $20
Wax and grease remover, the clean and prep the surfasce = $20
Clear coat X 3 = $12 a can .
Spray putty (Potentialy), to fill in littl chips before paint = $20
Sandpaper = $15

And then also your time and effort on top, if i could get it done for $120 i would be keen, yeah mine looks fairly alright, but hardly any metallic sparkle, and also a orange peel effect.