Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting wheels

rum87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Redline Ute M6
hey guys,

I recently bought a new vf redline ute in prussian steel, which means it came with polished alloy wheels. I'm wanting to paint them gloss black and just want to check with people that know more/more experience with painting wheels.

Right, wanting to know the correct order, process and grits of sand papers that work best as the polished alloys have clear coat on them.

best place to buy everything needed, grease and wax removers, paint, etc and best type of paint to use 2 pac, acrylic etc.

any other advice would be great cheers,

Matt

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
if they're already coated with a clear of some sort you should be all good to scotch brite them (grey abrasive pad) and paint right over them. i personally hate 1k acrylic paint. doesn't last and someone with paint thinner on a rag can just wipe the paint off your wheels. pay and have them done in 2k. better gloss hold out and highly resistant to road grime and brake dust, as well as not being affected by degreaser (degreaser burns some 1k finishes).

so scuff with abrasive pads (grey scotch brite)
take tires off or mask them up
wax and grease wipe all surfaces
apply paint.

or just drop wheels off to professionals and avoid turning wheels into total bloody coat hanger abortion....

greymatta6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vsIII statesman
Exactly what and how he just said!!! And definitely 2pack!! Just mask the tyres up with short strips of tape overlapping each other rather than trying to do it in one and you might have to wipe tyres with thinners to get tape to stick. If they are new alloys it's an easy job!! I recommend ppg or de beer paint and wouldn't recommend protec but it doesn't matter that much jus as long as it is 2k

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Have you thought about getting them powder coated ?

rum87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Redline Ute M6
thanks for the info guys, and yes dayvo i have thought about powder coat, got prices from 100-140 per wheel plus refitting and balancing, so i though id paint them. worst case if they dont turn up very good ill get them done down the track. i have done some painting before just not a massive amount. ill plasti dip them for a temporary fix if it turns out bad. but still open to suggestions

cheers Matt