Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting You Dash

Fr3ak+--

Closed On Monday
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Exec 5 Speed
A quick little how to on painting you dash and other interior plastics

now there are a few different ways to do it, i am just going to explain the method i used.

Supplies:
Wax And Grease Remover
Big Can of Plastic Primer
Big Can of touch up paint
Big Can of clear coat

if they only have the little cans get 2 or you will be going back for more half way through

I picked up all these things at autobarn for the amount of around $55

1. Remove the plastics you want to paint from your car

2. Tape up areas that you don't want to get paint on

3. Now it need a clean, this is very important if you use things like armourall. the best way to clean it is with a can of wax and grease remover. give it a really good scrub all over to get rid of all the crap on it

4. Next it's time to prime it. now i used a can of holt's plastic primer but most plastic primer's will do the trick. now if you haven't done this before please read the instruction on the back of the can (THEY DO HELP) now give it a even coat and let it dry for 20 mins. then apply a second coat a let that dry.
when its dry the plastic should now be a bit rough.. if you don't think that it is you can always do a third coat it wont hurt

5. Now its time for the color.

When ever people ask what to spray a dash with a lot of people tend to say vinyl dye. Now i did not used vinyl die and with this method you don't have to. I used touch up paint.
The best thing about this way is there is a lot more color's to choose from as vinyl dye only has 10 color's where as i used touch up paint which you can pretty much get in any color you want

after the primer is dry start to paint.

i gave mine 3 coats but its up to you how many you give it.

6. After the paint is dry it is time for the clear coat..

now with the clear coat you determine how shiny you want it. if you only put on a coat of 2 its a bit more of a matte look as appose to a gloss.

but remember the more clear coat you put on the less likely of it getting chipped. i have had a few mates do this without the clear coat and it is destroyed in a few months. i put on 3 coats and i have only had 2 chip's in a year.

7. now after this is dry it is time to replace the parts. just be very careful when doing so. you would hate to scratch it putting it back in

Before

After

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Top thread mate.

Rated for you ;)

UNKNOWN

DEFECTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR SII BT1 5 Speed
Nice write up mate.

taskmaster

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT series 2
not to doubt you but why does your before pic have a carsales.com tag on it?

btw it looks good

TA 91 WA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII 5.7 LS1
Also the different stereos.

Probably forgot to take a before picture.

Nice write up dude. I need to redo mine.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
As said, the pic is probably just for comparison. I always forget the before pics.

boomnvn

SOLDER, NO CRIMP.
Reaction score
Website
www.KungFuKustoms.com
Members Ride
VT Exec S1 V6
this is killer... i'm so goin to autobarn this morning to pick up some paint to takle this tomorrow!!

ragrim

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6
just to add a few tips.

Clear coat works best when its warm (so im told) leave the piece you want to paint in the sun for a bit to warm up and also leave the can in the sun, if clear coat is cold it can turn white or not give you a gloss finish, i learnt this the hard way.

allow it to dry before attempting to reinstall, if you try to install you bits when the paint is only touch dry you will make a mess off it, leave it in the sun for a couple hours and let it harden, nothing worse than being impatiant and installing it too early and scratching it.

good write up :)

Nevyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan
good write up mate :thumbsup:.....very handy & timely given I'm about to dye my dash pad and all the plastics.