Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting Your Dash

Fr3ak+--

Closed On Monday
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Exec 5 Speed
A quick little how to on painting you dash and other interior plastics

now there are a few different ways to do it, i am just going to explain the method i used.

Supplies:
Wax And Grease Remover
Big Can of Plastic Primer
Big Can of touch up paint
Big Can of clear coat

if they only have the little cans get 2 or you will be going back for more half way through

I picked up all these things at autobarn for the amount of around $55

1. Remove the plastics you want to paint from your car

2. Tape up areas that you don't want to get paint on

3. Now it need a clean, this is very important if you use things like armourall. the best way to clean it is with a can of wax and grease remover. give it a really good scrub all over to get rid of all the crap on it

4. Next it's time to prime it. now i used a can of holt's plastic primer but most plastic primer's will do the trick. now if you haven't done this before please read the instruction on the back of the can (THEY DO HELP) now give it a even coat and let it dry for 20 mins. then apply a second coat a let that dry.
when its dry the plastic should now be a bit rough.. if you don't think that it is you can always do a third coat it wont hurt

5. Now its time for the color.

When ever people ask what to spray a dash with a lot of people tend to say vinyl dye. Now i did not used vinyl die and with this method you don't have to. I used touch up paint.
The best thing about this way is there is a lot more color's to choose from as vinyl dye only has 10 color's where as i used touch up paint which you can pretty much get in any color you want

after the primer is dry start to paint.

i gave mine 3 coats but its up to you how many you give it.

6. After the paint is dry it is time for the clear coat..

now with the clear coat you determine how shiny you want it. if you only put on a coat of 2 its a bit more of a matte look as appose to a gloss.

but remember the more clear coat you put on the less likely of it getting chipped. i have had a few mates do this without the clear coat and it is destroyed in a few months. i put on 3 coats and i have only had 2 chip's in a year.

7. now after this is dry it is time to replace the parts. just be very careful when doing so. you would hate to scratch it putting it back in

Before

After

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
nice quick walk through. I don't really know how to remove the plastics though. I have a VYII berlina. Would it be much different to your car?

How did you get the airbag cover off to paint? And then back on for that matter? My car just got back from the workshop for damage and the airbag looked sealed with a glue type substance. It had evidence of something being used around the edges of the cover anyway.

Fr3ak+--

Closed On Monday
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Exec 5 Speed
if you notice in the picture i did not paint that part of my dash and i have no idea sorry

mws

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
If your painting your actual dash, like right near the screen i strongly recommend for visibility anyway not to use too much clear the sun reflection is brutal lol.

krypt0n

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Commodore
That looks awesome :)

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
if you notice in the picture i did not paint that part of my dash and i have no idea sorry

I'm talking about the section left of the main console. It's silver.

sinister6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
I'm talking about the section left of the main console. It's silver.

that section is a "one part" piece that is the entire top of the dash. you'll find that if you look closely, it isnt actually a seperate piece, its just a indent in the mould. tha same as on the glove box. its difficult to paint this but if you were really set on it you:thumbsup: could tape it up an try.

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Painting You Dash

One of the things I did before I even saw this thread was paint the dash panel... The original metalic paint holden used was absolute s**t.. It scratched and faded too easily.

ozzie_vt.jpg

Bawx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive 6L
Are there any guides on how to remove the dash on here for a VX? I only managed to find one for a VY, would that work?