Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting

MAC-VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn90
ok guys
befor i atemped to resrpay my car i need to no few things
do u guys think its better to sand car befor spraying primer

if so want grip should i use
n were shud i get it from

Smallies

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 3.8/ VN Calais 5.0/ VY Wagon
lol, It really depends on the quality of the job you want. For any paint job - I think going over the whole car with sandpaper would be a wise choice. Nothing too rough, a fairly fine one - something that wont dig in. Youll need a fair bit of it, and a sanding block, and a strong arm lol. Just go suss out a hardware store.

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
defiantly sand it to at least ruff the clear coat ive found that the paint sticks better all round also wipe it down after your finished with thinners that helps remove any oil deposits in the paint before undercoat :thumbsup:

Last edited:

HybridAero

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Equipe
ok guys
befor i atemped to resrpay my car i need to no few things
do u guys think its better to sand car befor spraying primer

if so want grip should i use
n were shud i get it from

if you dont sand the paint down before primer, the paint and primer will peel off, and you wont be able to feather the edges of the primer either

it may sound easy to spray a car yourself, but there are a lot of things to know to do a good job, and most of these come with experience

av13xl

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp berlina
definietly sand it bak.with a block with 800 wet paper,then after primer,spary a light coat of black as a guide coat and block it back with a longblock wiith 400 grit wet then another light coat of black then block back with 800 wet.should be sweet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Im in the middle of sanding down my vn previous owner 2 pak'd it but never clear coated so a small knock and it flakes off, ive found 100 grit to remove the 2 pak, then 220 grit to rough it up, then hit it with finer stuff between coats.

hemi01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2 V6 Berlina
Hey Mac,

Good to see that you're having a go at something that won't risk your life it if doesn't turn out right. Just remember to NOT paint the windows. Good luck.