Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pandora

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
And how the **** did we all live before this ?
Probably as safe as today....

Haha I know what you mean - I’m just throwing out ideas!!

Though having android and Apple CarPlay is a convenience factor and say, if we can upgrade our cars to that via Holden for a once off $200 fee, I’d never have to get a map upgrade again as Google maps will take care of that for me.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Haha I know what you mean - I’m just throwing out ideas!!

Though having android and Apple CarPlay is a convenience factor and say, if we can upgrade our cars to that via Holden for a once off $200 fee, I’d never have to get a map upgrade again as Google maps will take care of that for me.
Could be a sales reason (for Holden) to not give Apple carplay to obsolete media players i.e. keep us buying map upgrades. I bought my cars for performance, safety, comfort etc. You know, the stuff few care about these days.
That said, not sure Holden can sell anything at the moment except for a few Astras at deep discounts.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You are still going on about the software update on a vehicle that came out in 2013!.... As I've said before sell your Motorsport and buy something else as you ain't happy with the Holden product....You talk about Mazda, wow their system isn't that crash hot either. I'd prefer the Mylink we have in the VF over that system. At least we have more than 4 colours.
I didn’t start this thread and simply responded to the comment @Forg made that nothing can be done via Holden as I believe otherwise.

All I suggested is that if the OP isn’t happy with MyLink, he can write a letter of complaint to Holden and if enough people do it something may change. You may believe that nothing would come of such which is ok. But to again suggest I sell my car for what is a small anoyance for me is just childish. Don’t be offended if I again decline your suggestion.

As for Mazda’s infotainment system, I never said it was any good, only that Mazda is looking after its customers and providing them an option. The suggestion being that Holden could look at what Mazda are doing and learn something about keeping customers happy.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I didn’t start this thread and simply responded to the comment @Forg made that nothing can be done via Holden as I believe otherwise.
Nope. Every single buyer of every one of the 80000 or so VF’s could write to Holden asking for a CarPlay software upgrade & Holden would still do nothing ... we can’t do anything via Holden.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Got my car serviced today and it seems my Mylink system firmware is current (maps excluded) as there was no firmware updates according to the service guys. So there was no fix they could apply to hopefully resolve the loss of playlist position of occassional vehicle starts.

The service rep also stated Holden seem rather uninterested at releasing any firmware fixes as it costs Holden for the dealers to roll out the update.

IMO, this was a part acknowledgement of a poor design choice by Holden to have coded Mylink firmware/map updates as a dealer only process for the dealers benefit. By not allowing owners to do firmware updates to the infotainment system, just like we do with computers, bd players, TVs, and all manner of complex electronics, all Holden have done is increase their firmware rollout costs since delears must get paid for the task. Thus in the process, Holden have disincentivize themselves from releasing updates and supporting the customer as a result.

C'est la vie

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Got my car serviced today and it seems my Mylink system firmware is current (maps excluded) as there was no firmware updates according to the service guys. So there was no fix they could apply to hopefully resolve the loss of playlist position of occassional vehicle starts.

The service rep also stated Holden seem rather uninterested at releasing any firmware fixes as it costs Holden for the dealers to roll out the update.

IMO, this was a part acknowledgement of a poor design choice by Holden to have coded Mylink firmware/map updates as a dealer only process for the dealers benefit. By not allowing owners to do firmware updates to the infotainment system, just like we do with computers, bd players, TVs, and all manner of complex electronics, all Holden have done is increase their firmware rollout costs since delears must get paid for the task. Thus in the process, Holden have disincentivize themselves from releasing updates and supporting the customer as a result.

C'est la vie

Ahhh, firmware upgrades...
So many things have upgradeable firmware these days, but be aware that failures caused by firmware upgrades are not covered by warranty.
You do so at your own risk.
I've 'bricked' a Samsung BDP during a firmware upgrade.
Bricked a mother board doing a BIOS upgrade when the power went out(silly me, no UPS).
Similar situation upgrading a Denon AV Receiver, but it recovered the download when the power returned.
I'd much prefer the dealer to carry out the upgrades, if they happen to brick something, they have access to replacement modules.
If they do it, it is covered under warranty.

I think its just too much risk doing it yourself...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ I’ve updated many different consumer products, some with modded firmware, and only ever had one issue. And when that failure occured, the manufacturer as the supplier of the update had some responsability. After some argh baggy they came to the party and provided another motherboard.

In any case, from a design perspective, there are technical methods available to mitigate risk associated with firmware update but GM/H took a different design choice, maybe.

Curiously, in the USofA, vehicle owners can buy a map updates for their car delivered to them on USB. It’s an updated firmware module as such... for user installation. Down under it seems, maybe, we are not considered sophisticated enough to do similar.

So obviously we have a differing point of view. Oh well, atleast the dealers make a few dollars out of the process.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Hyundai have offered a "software" upgrade Apple Carplay/Android Auto for cars going back to 2016 . I do believe its for units that have a navigation system and is updateable via an SD card but I think it can be done through the usb with a stick also . Hyundai are also actively encouraging there customers to do this upgrade themselves although it is still available as an upgrade through a dealer at a cost

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda and Hyundai must be doing something right as they are selling more cars than Holden.
Sad how the mighty have fallen.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Mazda & Hyundai both have product which I’d buy even if they had outdated ICE/SatNav/etc ... in the same way as the Commodore did when we got it, and yet the only current Holden I’d consider buying would be (oddly) the Commodore if it came-out better against a Mazda6 than I think it would.