Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Park Assist Issues on CalaisV

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Hi Everyone.
My Park assist has stopped working.
(When I try to manually activate it, the Park assist light flashes quickly 4 times, and does nothing).
There the screen doesn't even show the park assist vehicle outline, nor does the system beep to let me know it is active.

I have checked the Park Assist / Brake Light Shared fuse, and that seems to be fine (And brake lights are still working).

I looked at the workshop manual, and apparently the Park assist will throw diagnostic codes if it has problems,
however I did a DTC scan, and the car returned no faults.

Im scratching my head here, as I am not sure what could be wrong with the damm thing.
(I work quite close to the Sydney CBD, and parking in tight spaces is a daily chore, so I would ideally like to get this thing working again).

Has anyone had any experiences with a problematic park assist system ????

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Got a towbar? Has the magnet fallen off the little door for the towbar socket? If its still there open it and let it flick shut a few times and see if it starts working again.

Does your scan tool show U codes?

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Once again Ricey, you are a legend !!!!!
I do have the factory tow pack fitted, so I will be giving this a thorough looking in to.

I have two scan tools, and both returned no error codes, so it looks like from the Park Assist point of view, there is nothing wrong that it can detect.
(I.E. I think you are bang on the money here thinking its the trailer connector, as the Park assist will disable and do the same thing if a trailer is connected).
Likewise, it wouldn't throw any codes if you have a trailer connected, and tried using the park assist !

Cheers and thanks again for your help ! :)

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
No worries, happy to help.

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
Aww man. I actually knew the answer to this, but Ricey beat me to it.

I was looking forward to riding in on my humble steed to save the day! :D

Way to steal my thunder...:(

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Hahaha, thankyou Wongy295 and Ricey.

I did some tests with a multimeter, and it looks like the Trailer plug flap manget and pickup is good :(
(I checked continuity between the thin grey wire on the plug, which shorts to ground when the trailer plug flap is down, and is open circuit when something is plugged in).
I also traced the cable back in to the boot, and checked it about 1m in, and the grey wire was still shorted to ground when the flap was closed.

To me it looks like all the suggestions are on the right track. Maybe something as simple as the plug for the park assist is loose, and its not seeing the grounded signal,
or the cable has gone open circuit.

I will keep testing, and let everyone know.

Thankyou again Wongy an Ricey for your help :)

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
If even one park assist sensor fails (or in my case, gets pushed back into the bumper by prying fingers!), then in my case (WM) the park assist system does exactly the same as what you've described. In my case though, the system beeps continuously for a few seconds, then stops and shuts itself down. When I fit the loose sensor back in correctly and cycle the ignition, it all works again. I've never seen a DTC for the park assist though, and I've had reason to check codes fairly often for an unrelated issue.

I'd suggest that you check each park sensor to make sure that it's clean, still fitted properly (and I think they're sensitive to the angle they're fitted in) and that the plugs are still fitted on properly.

Good luck.

Trav ke150

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais v
Hi Zerone, any further developments with the parking sensors, mine is doing an identical thing, have checked plugs etc all seems to checkout, only clue i had was the grey wire from trailer plug terminates in a plug near boot latch with nothing connecting to it. But as the sensors have worked maybe once in the time iv had the car and wiring diagrams are scarce im not sure if this should have a wire from the sensors connecting to it. Sensor on trailer plug door all checks out, my next step is to take it to a dealership but thought id see if you had any luck first, i have heard of the sensor module packing it in. Just seems unusual that neither front or back sensors work. Anyhow any info you may have is greatly appreciated, cheers.

Shauno-81

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.0L VE Calais-V.
Hi mate. My 2006 Calais-v does the same thing occasionally. I did a diagnostic test and nothing showed. It only happens occasionally then comes good again. It happened after I washed it a few days ago. I blamed water in the sensors. just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trav ke150

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais v
Yeah iv had the car a few months now and i think the sensors may have worked once in that time, im leaning toward the module that controls the system but as the issue is identical to zerones id like to hear what happened with his.