Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Park Brake Issue

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I have problem where the park brake on my right rear wheel isn't working as well as the one on the left side.

I've checked and set the adjustment. With both wheels jacked up both wheels, when turned by hand, lock at the same number of clicks when you pull the park brake handle. Yet if you apply the park when you're rolling slowly on gravel or even on smooth hotmix only the left wheel can be made to lock up. Since both wheels lock at the same point when turned by hand I would have expected them to give similar results.

Pads look to be equal both sides with plenty of meat left, as you'd expect since they only get used for the park brake.

Any suggestions? Cable stretch on the R/H side?

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I have resolved the problem. The right hand cable wasn't as free moving as the left cable. I pull it out and inspected it. There was a small kink just before the anchor point for the cable outer at the rear wheel . The plastic sheathing on the outer was split at this point, letting in water and dirt.

I sprayed some CRC down the cable and made sure it was nice and free then reinstalled it, then did a complete readjustment of the park brake.

Prior to starting the job the attachment bar that joins the cable from the brake lever to the individual cables that go to each wheel was pulling up at an angle with the right hand side looking as if it had more tension than the left side. After I had finished the attachment bar is now pulling up evenly. I figured the angle was caused by the extra friction in the cable.