Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Park brake problems

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Banjo79, May 1, 2018.

1. Banjo79

Banjo79 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS Sportwagon
    Car is starting to on occasions not release the park brake. Whether it's released manually or I just drive off, it can stay engaged even when the park brake light has gone off. I'll have to get it to Holden, but in the mean time, just wondering if anyone has had the same happen?

2. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    There is a VF/WN service manual available somewhere within the forum.

Within the manual, you should find a description of a hand brake recalibration process (button pressing) which may help (and save you a trip to Holden).

I’ll have a look at the relevant section and post it if I get the chance later today.

3. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    The VF/WN HSV GenF workshop Manual can be found in post 9 of Genuine GM Service manul post #9 of the Genuien GM Service Manual thread.

Download it and look at <brakes> <Park Brake> <Repair Instructions> <Park Brake Cable Adjuster Disabling> & <Park Brake Cable Aduster Enabling>

A quick rundown of the process is:
    • turn on ignition but don't start the engine
    • put gearbox into drive (auto) or neutral (manual)
    • press and hold the brake pedal (don't take foot off brake pedal until this procedure is finished)
    • press and hold the handbrake (EPB) button for about 5 seconds
    • observe the park brake lamp in the instrument cluster
    • when the park brake lamp flashes, release then immediately press and releae the park brake (EPB) button
      the park brake cable tension if fully released
    • take foot off park brake pedal
    Now that the park brake cable tension is released, the park brake shoes can be adjusted to be between 189.6-189.8mm at their widest point. This mechanical adjustment is done by lifting the vehicle and twiddling the park brake adjuster behind the rear disc brake, see <Park Brake Adjustment>.

With the park brake cable tension released and rear of car off the ground, rear wheels should spin freely... It does not seem like a complex thing to do but that depends on your skill level. Just be sure to corretly supported the vehicle (use stands not hydraulic jack) if checking the park brake discs, etc..

As a final step, the cable tension can be set and the EPS module calibratied by doing the following.
    • turn on ignition but don't start the engine
    • press and hold the brake pedal (don't take foot off brake pedal until this procedure is finished)
    • put gearbox into drive (auto) or neutral (manual)
    • momentary lift then release the park brake (EPB) switch (apply park brake)
    • momentary press and release the park brake (EPB) switch (releae the park brake)
    • repeat the above apply/release steps an additional 4 times
    • the EPB module will be calibrated
    If the park brake shoes are OK and adjusted correctly, just doing the cable adjuster disabling/enabling may be enough though i'd check the park brake shoes to be sure...

And if the park brake cables are streched beyong the capability of the EPB control module to 'calibarte' i'd think you'd need new park brake cables which seems like a bigger job.

I'd simply try the disbling/enabling process as a first step and see how that works out as it's a simple car on ground process...

Warning: i have not tried this GM procedure so use at your own risk.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  4. Banjo79

Banjo79 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS Sportwagon
    Thanks for all that, but I might heed your warning and let Holden sort it out. A few months back it had adjustment as the spanner warning light was coming on when driving off. The brakes were disengaging properly then unlike now, where occasionally they're staying on for a couple of seconds. Electric steering, electric park brake, here we go again.

5. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Hmm, sounds annoying...

I wonder what sort of logic and what sensors EPB uses to release the park brake if you don’t manually press the EPB switch.... Is it throttle, wheel speed, torque? Guess I must read the workshop manual again, more carefully :rolleyes:

Electric steering faults are I think simpler to classify as a major fault according to ACL (and the full refund option that could make available). Sluggish EPB may not be so easy to classify as such unless they have slamed on at speed. In any case, even a minor fault can be considered major if a few repair attempts have failed to correct the issue... so keep that in mind.

Guess you feel like your on a bit of a merry go round at the moment...

6. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Oh, and if Holden try and claim the park brake linings are warm and it’s not covered under warranty, I’d counter that the faulty EPB they failed to fix the last time must have aided in such undue wearing out as they dragged in the drums while driving...

7. fxxxrr

fxxxrr Member

Members Ride:
    WL statesman FX holden EH holden
    why the **** do we need electronic **** like this anyway?
    worked the old fashioned way for years why fix it if it aint broke

mitweiler likes this.
  8. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Coz gadgets !

9. Banjo79

Banjo79 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS Sportwagon
    Thanks for your input Skylarking. Just to reiterate, I'm getting this (occasionally) when manually releasing or letting the car auto release. I have almost always done it manually. First time I noticed the problem, I released the park brake, foot off brake, but the auto didn't move me. Touched throttle, moved a meter or two, off throttle car came to stop. Unlike my first park brake issue, this one isn't throwing a dash light and isn't happening regularly, so I doubt it will do it on the day they're looking at it. Owning a Holden is not meant to be easy.

10. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Banjo, intermittant problems are always a pain to deal with. Luckily these days everyone has a phone that records video. So next time you have a passenger when about to drive off, hand them your phone and get them to video you driving off with your commentary . Hopefully you’ll catch the fault and then have proof. Alternatively, get some hands free kit that allows you to better position the phone and you can record every time you drive off. Delete the video if no issue occurs and keep the problem videos. The rest is then up to the dealer to fix as the issue has been demonstrated via captured video.

11. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Yeah, I don’t like such drive aids. However, many I know that drive manuals have issues with handbrake starts so EPB helps these “skilled” drivers.

Also, as manufacturers move towards driverless vehicles, I guess they are incrementally adding such features to condition us to be more accepting of full automation (which they tell us we need)...

I think Ralph Nader had the correct view that airbags & ABS weren’t as safe as manufacturers were telling us since people seemed to be changing their driving habits and taking more risks in the belief the tech would save them.

I’d have preferred well engineered chassis (suspension, steering and brakes) using proven “dumb” tech though I think airbags (up to the Takata mess) were a good idea.

But EPB, no, give me a hand brake instead (and put it next to me, the drive, not next to the passenger as lazy Ford who couldn’t be bothered moving it in the mustang, and even Holden couldn’t be arsed moving the EPB switch from LHD side to RHD side in the pseudo-dore)

12. Sir Les

Sir Les Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V V6 MY14
    Personally, I much prefer the EPB over a standard handbrake. Always providing it continues to work properly, of course......

13. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    @Banjo79 how did it go at the dealers, get your intermittant EPB issue fixed?

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  14. Banjo79

Banjo79 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS Sportwagon
    No. Its primarily the wifes work car and she can't be without it atm. The problem is getting worse, fast. Its happening more than every second time disengaging it is attempted. It has now, 3 times since last post, applied the park brake just off idle momentarily, enough to jolt the car. I'm now guessing the module is faulty. It's one thing not disengaging, but now its also applying! Big job that were not paying for.

15. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Get it to the dealer asp and ask for a free loan car. They provide them for servicing so I don't se why they wouldn't do the same for this issue.....particularly for a work vehicle.

16. Banjo79

Banjo79 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS Sportwagon
    So the park brake was once again adjusted, at no cost about a week ago and the problem has not returned. Releases perfectly and still holds itself on hills with car pointing up/down with pb manually applied and also hillstarting/holding so all good, fingers crossed.
    Now what has spun me out is how much the car surges forward, now its releasing properly. Fuel economy has also come down nearly 1l/100km on a weekly driven stretch of highway. Moral of the story, I think my park brake problem has been steadily and without me realising, getting worse and not releasing to varying degrees for up to 9 months. Lot of fuel its cost me if I'm right!

17. Banjo79

Banjo79 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS Sportwagon
    BTW got a new Commodore Rs loan car for the day. Good Conti tyres on the front wouldn't stop chirping at bugger all throttle. Wasn't a fan.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  18. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    @Banjo79 glad it's all sorted.

Do you know if the adjustment the dealer did was the button pushing disable/enable method or did they also take off the wheels & disks to check the brake linings while mechanically adjust their position?

Just curious what they did, that's all ;)

19. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Weight reduction.

20. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
    And a solution to that bloody VE handbrake.