Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Park brake problems

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Car is starting to on occasions not release the park brake. Whether it's released manually or I just drive off, it can stay engaged even when the park brake light has gone off. I'll have to get it to Holden, but in the mean time, just wondering if anyone has had the same happen?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
There is a VF/WN service manual available somewhere within the forum.

Within the manual, you should find a description of a hand brake recalibration process (button pressing) which may help (and save you a trip to Holden).

I’ll have a look at the relevant section and post it if I get the chance later today.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
The VF/WN HSV GenF workshop Manual can be found within post #9 of the Genuien GM Service Manual thread .

Download it and look at <brakes> <Park Brake> <Repair Instructions> <Park Brake Cable Adjuster Disabling> & <Park Brake Cable Aduster Enabling>

A quick rundown of the process is:
  • turn on ignition but don't start the engine
  • put gearbox into drive (auto) or neutral (manual)
  • press and hold the brake pedal (don't take foot off brake pedal until this procedure is finished)
  • press and hold the handbrake (EPB) button for about 5 seconds
  • observe the park brake lamp in the instrument cluster
  • when the park brake lamp flashes, release then immediately press and releae the park brake (EPB) button
    the park brake cable tension if fully released
  • take foot off park brake pedal
Now that the park brake cable tension is released, the park brake shoes can be adjusted to be between 189.6-189.8mm at their widest point. This mechanical adjustment is done by lifting the vehicle and twiddling the park brake adjuster behind the rear disc brake, see <Park Brake Adjustment>.

With the park brake cable tension released and rear of car off the ground, rear wheels should spin freely... It does not seem like a complex thing to do but that depends on your skill level. Just be sure to corretly supported the vehicle (use stands not hydraulic jack) if checking the park brake discs, etc..

As a final step, the cable tension can be set and the EPS module calibratied by doing the following.
  • turn on ignition but don't start the engine
  • press and hold the brake pedal (don't take foot off brake pedal until this procedure is finished)
  • put gearbox into drive (auto) or neutral (manual)
  • momentary lift then release the park brake (EPB) switch (apply park brake)
  • momentary press and release the park brake (EPB) switch (releae the park brake)
  • repeat the above apply/release steps an additional 4 times
  • the EPB module will be calibrated
If the park brake shoes are OK and adjusted correctly, just doing the cable adjuster disabling/enabling may be enough though i'd check the park brake shoes to be sure...

And if the park brake cables are streched beyong the capability of the EPB control module to 'calibrate' i'd think you'd need new park brake cables which seems like a bigger job.

I'd simply try the disbling/enabling process as a first step and see how that works out as it's a simple car on ground process...

Warning: i have not tried this GM procedure so use at your own risk.

Last edited:

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Thanks for all that, but I might heed your warning and let Holden sort it out. A few months back it had adjustment as the spanner warning light was coming on when driving off. The brakes were disengaging properly then unlike now, where occasionally they're staying on for a couple of seconds. Electric steering, electric park brake, here we go again.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmm, sounds annoying...

I wonder what sort of logic and what sensors EPB uses to release the park brake if you don’t manually press the EPB switch.... Is it throttle, wheel speed, torque? Guess I must read the workshop manual again, more carefully :rolleyes:

Electric steering faults are I think simpler to classify as a major fault according to ACL (and the full refund option that could make available). Sluggish EPB may not be so easy to classify as such unless they have slamed on at speed. In any case, even a minor fault can be considered major if a few repair attempts have failed to correct the issue... so keep that in mind.

Guess you feel like your on a bit of a merry go round at the moment...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh, and if Holden try and claim the park brake linings are warm and it’s not covered under warranty, I’d counter that the faulty EPB they failed to fix the last time must have aided in such undue wearing out as they dragged in the drums while driving...

fxxxrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL statesman FX holden EH holden
why the **** do we need electronic **** like this anyway?
worked the old fashioned way for years why fix it if it aint broke

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Thanks for your input Skylarking. Just to reiterate, I'm getting this (occasionally) when manually releasing or letting the car auto release. I have almost always done it manually. First time I noticed the problem, I released the park brake, foot off brake, but the auto didn't move me. Touched throttle, moved a meter or two, off throttle car came to stop. Unlike my first park brake issue, this one isn't throwing a dash light and isn't happening regularly, so I doubt it will do it on the day they're looking at it. Owning a Holden is not meant to be easy.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Banjo, intermittant problems are always a pain to deal with. Luckily these days everyone has a phone that records video. So next time you have a passenger when about to drive off, hand them your phone and get them to video you driving off with your commentary . Hopefully you’ll catch the fault and then have proof. Alternatively, get some hands free kit that allows you to better position the phone and you can record every time you drive off. Delete the video if no issue occurs and keep the problem videos. The rest is then up to the dealer to fix as the issue has been demonstrated via captured video.