Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Park brake problems

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
why the **** do we need electronic **** like this anyway?
worked the old fashioned way for years why fix it if it aint broke
Yeah, I don’t like such drive aids. However, many I know that drive manuals have issues with handbrake starts so EPB helps these “skilled” drivers.

Also, as manufacturers move towards driverless vehicles, I guess they are incrementally adding such features to condition us to be more accepting of full automation (which they tell us we need)...

I think Ralph Nader had the correct view that airbags & ABS weren’t as safe as manufacturers were telling us since people seemed to be changing their driving habits and taking more risks in the belief the tech would save them.

I’d have preferred well engineered chassis (suspension, steering and brakes) using proven “dumb” tech though I think airbags (up to the Takata mess) were a good idea.

But EPB, no, give me a hand brake instead (and put it next to me, the drive, not next to the passenger as lazy Ford who couldn’t be bothered moving it in the mustang, and even Holden couldn’t be arsed moving the EPB switch from LHD side to RHD side in the pseudo-dore)

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Personally, I much prefer the EPB over a standard handbrake. Always providing it continues to work properly, of course......

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Banjo79 how did it go at the dealers, get your intermittant EPB issue fixed?

Last edited:

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
@Banjo79 how did it go at the dealers, get your intermittant EPB issue fixed?
No. Its primarily the wifes work car and she can't be without it atm. The problem is getting worse, fast. Its happening more than every second time disengaging it is attempted. It has now, 3 times since last post, applied the park brake just off idle momentarily, enough to jolt the car. I'm now guessing the module is faulty. It's one thing not disengaging, but now its also applying! Big job that were not paying for.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
No. Its primarily the wifes work car and she can't be without it atm. The problem is getting worse, fast. Its happening more than every second time disengaging it is attempted. It has now, 3 times since last post, applied the park brake just off idle momentarily, enough to jolt the car. I'm now guessing the module is faulty. It's one thing not disengaging, but now its also applying! Big job that were not paying for.

Get it to the dealer asp and ask for a free loan car. They provide them for servicing so I don't se why they wouldn't do the same for this issue.....particularly for a work vehicle.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
So the park brake was once again adjusted, at no cost about a week ago and the problem has not returned. Releases perfectly and still holds itself on hills with car pointing up/down with pb manually applied and also hillstarting/holding so all good, fingers crossed.
Now what has spun me out is how much the car surges forward, now its releasing properly. Fuel economy has also come down nearly 1l/100km on a weekly driven stretch of highway. Moral of the story, I think my park brake problem has been steadily and without me realising, getting worse and not releasing to varying degrees for up to 9 months. Lot of fuel its cost me if I'm right!

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
BTW got a new Commodore Rs loan car for the day. Good Conti tyres on the front wouldn't stop chirping at bugger all throttle. Wasn't a fan.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Banjo79 glad it's all sorted.

Do you know if the adjustment the dealer did was the button pushing disable/enable method or did they also take off the wheels & disks to check the brake linings while mechanically adjust their position?

Just curious what they did, that's all ;)