Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Park lights vs brake lights vs cruise control

raygoesher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Commodore Exec
G'day all,

New to here after suffering some issues with my much loved VY S2 Commodore.

I learnt of a problem after driving at night, headlights on, cruise control does become "Active" but will not engage to hold speed.

I then later noticed, that with my headlights on, my brake lights were also on, constantly.

The problem has now progressed, and during the day, with my headlights OFF, if I put my foot on the brakes, the dash display lights (stereo, speedo, temp, fuel and rpm guauge) all illuminate.

So clearly there is an electrical issue, but where do I start? Surely it couldn't be just a fuse. If a fuse blows, the lights wouldn't illuminate at all would they?

Thanks guys, the car is booked in on Friday, but would like to save some cash!

Ray

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Have any of the taillight bulbs been replaced lately,if the wrong bulb is fitted to the taillights,it can cause all sorts of weird problems.

raygoesher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Commodore Exec
No mate, it's had no changes to globes, no mods to the lights. All electrics are standard.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
check your brake light globes, they are dual filament and if one is blown the broken filament can short on the other filament. so basically when your brakes are on it will backfeed into the parklight circuit.

raygoesher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Commodore Exec
Cheers, ill give it a go this arvo and let you know!

raygoesher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Commodore Exec
Righteo,

I've changes the brake/park lights and removed the brake light that is at the bottom of the rear window. I changed the fuses: Park Lamps, stop lamps and instrument illumination.

Unfortunately it has not solved the problem. Time to book it in?

raygoesher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Commodore Exec
G'day all!

Well the problem has been solved.

For all that are interested (for next time if someone ask's here or otherwise) It looks like my driveway has done the damage. It's a sharp change from a down slope driveway to a gentle upslope. It would appear that as I have reversed down my driveway (with a small load of beers in the boot) I have scraped and damaged the towing cable/connector. It's caused a short circuit there and now with a replacement fitted, she's working a treat.

Thanks for your help guys!