Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Parking brake bypass

GMHCalais

[TUKN20Z]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII 5.7 Calais, VS SS SII HSV Enhanced
id like to know how i can bypass the parking brake cord

mate of mine has his on a kill switch.

any ideas if some have done it, or if some know how to do it so my passengers can watch dvds while driving?

cheers
-frank

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I assume its for the Clarion unit?

If so, then just wiring the parking brake wire to earth (like most other brands) wont work for your head-unit. What you need to do is wire a small switch inline with the parking brake wire and earth, then when you need to watch movies while driving etc, just give the switch a flick on and it will work fine.

What i usually do is use a switch with a "momentary" action. So basically the wire is earthed at all times, but when you flick the switch the contact is broken for a second or so......once you let go of the switch it returns back to being earthed.

Dont ask me why this has to be done.....i suppose its widely known that all you need to do to bypass the park brake function is earth the wire, so Clarion decided to make things a little harder ;)

If by any chance its not a Clarion unit, then earthing the wire permanently will work fine. If youre after a way to bypass the handbrake when driving, then just wire up the same switch to earth, with the output going to the handbrake wire thats connected to the handbrake light, if you get what i mean.....i can always draw up a diagram ;)

Anyway, all this information is not legal and by all means i dont recommend it :whistling

GMHCalais

[TUKN20Z]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII 5.7 Calais, VS SS SII HSV Enhanced
I assume its for the Clarion unit?

If so, then just wiring the parking brake wire to earth (like most other brands) wont work for your head-unit. What you need to do is wire a small switch inline with the parking brake wire and earth, then when you need to watch movies while driving etc, just give the switch a flick on and it will work fine.

What i usually do is use a switch with a "momentary" action. So basically the wire is earthed at all times, but when you flick the switch the contact is broken for a second or so......once you let go of the switch it returns back to being earthed.

Dont ask me why this has to be done.....i suppose its widely known that all you need to do to bypass the park brake function is earth the wire, so Clarion decided to make things a little harder ;)

If by any chance its not a Clarion unit, then earthing the wire permanently will work fine. If youre after a way to bypass the handbrake when driving, then just wire up the same switch to earth, with the output going to the handbrake wire thats connected to the handbrake light, if you get what i mean.....i can always draw up a diagram ;)

Anyway, all this information is not legal and by all means i dont recommend it :whistling

i do understand that this procedure isnt legal, will be taking the necessary precautions if i do decide to go down this path, mostly experimenting at the moment though lol but yes i went out and bought a sliding two pin switch, not momentary though. as the stockist said momentary would not work

so will it still work?

its a sliding switch with OFF<-->ON.... So hopefully it works like a momentary switch?

if you could draw up a diagram id appreciate it very much

:)

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
A normal switch will still work ok, you just have to "flick" it back if you know what i mean.

What diagram do you want, the one where the handbrake wire is already hooked up just a switch added inline?

How a momentary switch works is the switch is wired to be constantly connecting the handbrake wire to earth, flicking the switch breaks the connection, then once it springs back the connection is made again.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Clarion have included safety software in thier units to attempt to "fool" backyard installers. it had me stumped for a little while installing a clarion unit in my ex partners car. Easy fix is to tap into the Antenna wire (the electicals, not the reception cable), only thing she had to do, was if the key was turned on and DVD showed up, was to flick to tuner, then back.. boom tish.

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
its only for the 2009 clarion units that need to see a change in polarity (earth) to allow the video to be viewed. And the diagram would be green from the clarion unit to the switch and earth to the other side of the switch.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
You can also wire it so that it works via the parking brake as per law, then just add a switch onto this circuit that bypass the handbrake switch so that it works when the handbrake is on.....just wanting to know which one the OP wanted a diagram for.

EDIT: Heres the diagram for both wiring options:

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 16,328
Last edited:

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
You can also wire it so that it works via the parking brake as per law, then just add a switch onto this circuit that bypass the handbrake switch so that it works when the handbrake is on.....just wanting to know which one the OP wanted a diagram for.

EDIT: Here's the diagram for both wiring options:

Wont this when he switches it bring the brake light on the dash as the wire for the hand brake will be going to earth as well as the H/U

He would need a 3 pole/ 3 pos switch like in the diagram below.. This is how i wired mine up just in case someone asked :cops: but have never been asked in 4 years of having in there..

untitled.jpg

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah, it will bring the handbrake light on and the warning "buzzer" to i'd imagine.

I havent done this type before (just a switch to earth like the first pic). So i admit i didnt think it through.

But yeah, a switch like this will work like above.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Yeah, it will bring the handbrake light on and the warning "buzzer" to i'd imagine.

I havent done this type before (just a switch to earth like the first pic). So i admit i didnt think it through.

But yeah, a switch like this will work like above.

Thats the one SPDT i couldnt think of the right word..